Storage in double garage roof space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an open plan double garage approx 5m across by 5m deep and want to create some storage up in the roof. The existing roof support doesn't look like it could take much more weight, and I'm not convinced I want to test it out :(:(:( I'm particularly anxious about the large 5m garage width span.

I'm thinking of boarding out about a quarter of the roof space (2.5 metres by 2.5 metres) and am wondering about building a frame for boards to rest on above the existing roof joists. I presume I'd then need one or more vertical support posts bolted into the garage floor to rest this frame on where it is away from the walls?

Thoughts please? Is this a good idea? How have others created storage in a double garage?

Sponsored Links
If you do not think the joists will take extra weight then perhaps you need to strengthen them with more stronger joists bolted to the side of the existing ones, supported at the ends using joist brackets etc.

Space is a premium and having a storage location for the xmas decorations, the tree, those old nick nacks you don't want to throw or a kayak etc. make this a worthwhil project IMO.

Sponsored Links
You could put a steel beam in there to avoid using a post/pillar that would take up space down below.

You'd need a strong wall or extra buttressing to support the steel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back