Storing screws n' bits n' bobs - what to use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the moment I live in complete DIY chaos and its driving me nuts not being able to find anything.

I'm looking for a cheap and easy way of organising myself and was wondering what you all do to store and sort stuff.

I need - decent quality screw style storage boxes, portable, compact, robust (I move quite often), 'knock over proof' - ie sealed boxes.

I also need something to put bigger things in - eg electrical sockets.

I wandered B&G but everyhing seemed overprice and under quality.

So far best I've seen is....

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/p...aniser-2/path/tool-boxes-tool-bags-organisers

but I would need lots and would work out expensive. Two or 3 of these might do it?

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/p...rganiser/path/tool-boxes-tool-bags-organisers

help appreciated people

Sponsored Links
The Stanley pro cases (the first link that you put up) are good. They will take sockets and switches. Wickes do there own version.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Tool-Storage/8-Compartment-Professional-Organiser/invt/506617

This picture shows it in the Stanley colours but I thought they were grey :confused: They come on offer from time to time in Wickes at about £10/11

Some stuff I keep in sandwich boxes, the ones with the four snap down flaps, they are durable and the lids never come off.

B&Q have this which is really good.

https://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/skins/popups/scene7.jsp?skuId=10047846

oldholborntobaccotinvn5.jpg

this is ideal and it smells nice :LOL: even to a gave upper!!

I picked up one the the second ones in Costco this weekend but ran out of space so put it back.

They were half the B&Q price!!

They might be my answer - the compartments are all individual and removable as well (ie you can just take a tub of screws)

Hmmm...can I sneak a few of them past the missis......

Keep the ideas coming people!

What I really need is something for larger bits as well - if I had the space and no need to move them I'd have one of those things with all the containers that clip onto the wall but they don't have lids and I ain't go tthe space.

Sponsored Links
I get the cleaners at work to save me the tubs that the bleach tablets come in.

Wash them & they are nice & clean, ready for putting loadsa carp in for me to forget I have. :D

I use Raaco storage cabinets for small parts in the workshop. These will transport OK if you lay them on their backs.

For portable storage of screws and fixings I use steel system cases, including the type referred to above from Screwfix. (I think B&Q have them a bit cheaper at the moment.) I also use plastic organiser boxes for bits and pieces that need to be moved around, but they can break when full and dropped on the floor.

Larger items go into Linbins; you can stack these, put them on shelves, or hang them on louvre panels.

Screws in cardboard boxes stay in their boxes. It becomes very expensive rehousing things that are already adequately packed.

I collect empty coffee tins, or milk powder tins with plastic lids, for storing nails and pins, unboxed screws, etc. I don't use miscellaneous saved containers (the mixed sizes become a nuisance) and I don't use jam jars or other easily broken containers, unless I'm in a hurry and can't find something better.

oldholborntobaccotinvn5.jpg

this is ideal and it smells nice :LOL: even to a gave upper!!
I've got lots of those, mainly came from my dad (god rest) & I also inherited 2 x “Old Holborn” 6ft tape measures; don’t suppose they are worth anything do you? For larger storage, I’ve got a load of “Family Favourite” plastic biscuit containers but one of the best ideas I’ve seen uses those clear blue plastic, oval “Persil” washing powder sachet jars; screw the lid to the underside of your shelves & you can almost double the storage & see what’s inside!

For non smokers
home-travelsweets.jpg
available at most garages (barley sugar's are best)

I also have ice cream tubs and other big containers.

For really big stuff I have several of the recycling tubs that were discarded at empty houses when they were first introduced in my area ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back