Stove Instalation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I came across this unbelievable stove installation when I was called to sweep the chimneys serving other solid fuel appliances in the same house. I explained to the homeowner one or two obvious problems with the stove installation :eek: and advised them never to use it. I posted out a quote to properly install the stove but have heard nothing back, oh well I suppose they know better.

Sponsored Links
Bet the loft is toasty warm. The spiders will appreciate it if nothing else :confused:

thats amazing.... flexipipe across a roof void intoa masonry chimney... dare I even ask what protects it up through the house?

Sponsored Links
Jesus......thats probably the worst job i've ever seen. It's sooooooo dangerous.

You can see timber within around half an inch of the liner where it passes through the wall.

A flexi liner is for re-lining class one chimneys.......it's not to be used as a primary lining system. It should have bends no greater than 45 degrees...........it should be well away from combustibles.........

In 15 years time when that liner is buggered and it breaks in half an flops down to the ceiling it would most definately set something on fire.....thats if it doesn't in the meantime.

You should get in touch with Mick Waumsley at Sure fire Technical Services..........he'll condemn it! They should make the company rectify it to comform with regs.

If the customer won't let anyone in nobody can do a damn thing.
As far as I'm aware surefire would have to get a warrant for access the same as anyone would and I bet that isn't easy.
Even Hetas state they only deal with complaints about registered installers so if a Diyer did it he can please himself what he does unfortunately.The only people who could do anything would be the health and safety executive when the place has burned down but then they would be stuff all evidence left anyhow.

As I understand it (and I am happy to proven wrong) Building Control who should have been notified can demand to inspect it can't they ?

If the police can't enter your house without a search warrant I'd say building control wouldn't be able to either.

Is it possible to take out fire insurance on somebody elses house ? :LOL:

i dont think insurance would pay up on this one ;)

I'm in the process of fitting a woodburner at the moment and have managed to get a HETAS engineer to come and sign it of as long as he's happy with it all.I'm making sure he can inspect all the relevant joins,liner,chimney termination etc.
It works out a lot cheaper for me,and gets it all legit hopefully!

does anyone know if the stove has to be passed (building control or HETAS) by law? I suspect if the property was to be rented(which it isn't) then it would be required,but otherwise is it a legal requirement?
I wondered what your house insurers would have to say if they knew you had a stove installed that hadn't been passed,hence the question in this thread.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back