Stoves wok burner - flames licking out the sides?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a Stoves range cooker (dual-fuel) that I've had for around 12 years, and recently the wok burner has developed a fault.

For around 5 or 6 minutes from cold, the wok flame comes out where it should. Much longer than that, and flames start licking out from under the burner ring. If I let it cool for just a few minutes, it works properly again.

I've checked the burner is clean and dry. The two points where the burner ring meets the gas supply, I buffed them up with steel wool and they're spotless. Still having the same issue, after several minutes the flame licks out.

From the difference in "cold" and "hot" behaviour, it seems likely to me that something is warping and causing gas to bypass the point where it goes from the stove-top into the burner ring. It's never happened in the preceding 12 years where I do some wok-cooking 1-2 times per week, but something has presumably gone past a point of no return. None of the other rings exhibit this behaviour, but of course they burn a lot cooler.

Clearly, a wok burner that spews flames out the sides is not usable... Part of me says "just buy a new one and avoid the faff" but the equivalent new one is around £2k, so I'd like to get it repaired if possible and have several more years out of it. Has anyone seen this sort of behaviour before and if so, was the repair something DIYable such as replacement burner rings or did it require getting someone out to work on the gas system?

Sponsored Links
Gas repairs are not DIY, you will need to get a Gas Safe registered person to repair it.

Gas repairs are not DIY, you will need to get a Gas Safe registered person to repair it.
Replacing burner rings is not a gas repair; the instructions for ever hob I've owned includes instructions to the user to take them out and clean them.

I thought I'd phrased it clearly to ensure that people realise I'm not talking about DIYing repairs to the gas, but for the avoidance of doubt I'm trying to gauge whether it's worth replacing the rings, or calling someone out.

If some gas safe people on the forum say "yup, no point in trying repairs as that indicates something non-replaceable is screwed then at least I know.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back