straight swap mains downlight for rose?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have 1xmains halogen and want to replace one pendant ceiling fitting on a 6a protected light circuit, which has little to any load on it.

Also only two cables coming in, so guessing it's a spur/ end of circuit and one of these two cables is to the switch but cabling does not make this clear. Oh and both cables have a black, red, and earth.

Perhaps it's too simple a query but is below true?

I do not need a junction box
I can use the 1.0 cable there now
I take the set of live cables and connect directly to the downlight
Same for neutral
The downlight says don't connect earth - I still intend joining the ends together just not touching downlight

All good? I had thought of putting in a seperate junction box but seems no need.

Sponsored Links
You are correct in that one cable will be the switch wire. Use the terminals in the ceiling rose to connect the cores. Make a note of which cores go where(connect to which) and you should be ok.

I take the set of live cables and connect directly to the downlight
Same for neutral

That sounds like you intend to connect both reds together and both blacks together, That is WRONG. When you switch the switch ON it will be a short circuit across the mains. The fuse will blow (or MCB will open) and the switch may be damaged.

Connect the two reds together in a separate terminal ( in a ceiling rose this is called LOOP ) and NOT to the lamp. The black from the switch to the brown wire from the lamp, ( this black is the switched live and should have a red sleeve ) and connected the other black ( the supply neutral ) to the blue wire from the lamp. As there are only two cables it won't matter ( too much ) if the blacks are exchanged.

Sponsored Links
You may find that you are too close to a joist to fit the down light as pendants are generally fixed to them. You will need to move the down light as per the manufacturers instructions - but normally min 50mm from joist. Do not fit it any closer - I've seen a number of joists charred due to heat from down lights - major fire risk

SB

it was too close - I used a barbeque skewer twisted which I tried to turn 360 degrees to check, and the location was a pantry measuring only 1m x 2m so moving it was not really an option - decided to go and simply get the flattest £4.99 pendant I could instead. Downlight sitting in the box, one day I may find a use for it.

The one I got is only 6cm depth!

m.diy.com/mt/www.diy.com/nav/decor/lighting/indoor-lighting/chandeliers___ceiling_lights/-pricerangew-0-50/Hudson-Frosted-Glass-Flush-Ceiling-Light-10867715?&action=detail&un_jtt_v_r=37#features

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back