Strange Birds nest identification

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I was getting some paint from the shed and I noticed a nest that appeared to be a heap of dry leaves. If it had been at ground level I would have thought hedgehog.

It was on the top shelf of a narrow wall cabinet, so the space about 300mm wide (partly taken up by a cardboard box) x 300mm deep x 200mm high.

I noticed (looking from below) the space just seemed to be stuffed with dry leaves, I didn't see any twigs or grass or a cup shape. A little brown head peered at me and quickly ducked down. Later a sparrow sized bird flew out fast through a gap above the door leading to the car port. This was approaching dusk. I have seen small birds flying fast towards the carport on other occasions but I think always around dusk, when I might be tidying up or putting things under cover.

There are no leaves in the shed so they must have been brought in.

I have recently seen a robin is often in the garden nearby.

Any ideas what it might be?

If it is nesting I suppose I should try not to disturb it.

Sponsored Links
It may have just gotten itself stuck in the shed and it's coincidence the leaves have the look of a nest. A picture would help.
When i leave the shed door open, birds are often getting themselves caught in there. Sparrows usually.

If it is nesting I suppose I should try not to disturb it
Indeed, what with it being illegal and immoral and all!

I second the vote for a wildlife camera; or even just a basic IP home camera - we frequently get nesting birds in odd places around our site and usually put a camera up to keep an eye on them if there is a likelihood they will be disturbed by human activity. Had to delay removing a wall by 5 weeks last year until some wagtails moved on

Sponsored Links
I have recently seen a robin is often in the garden nearby.
Baby robin?
R.abcd236e8481815247fd42a7dda7eb8a

Attachments

• R (22).jpg
    R (22).jpg
    135 KB · Views: 101
Baby robin?
No, a grown one with orange chest. I think I have only seen one in the garden at a time

Assuming it is a robin, the eggs take about 13 days to hatch and a couple of weeks to fledge, so I can clear it out within a month.

I need to get my lawnmower and other tools.

Got an old phone you can leave set up to video?
Or an old Canon camera - even a cheapie, you can program to take a pic when something moves or comes into focus.
You need Magic Lantern for Dslrs or CHDK for compacts.

Yes, it was a Robin's nest. They have gone now and the dish-shaped nest is hidden behind a pile of dead leaves they carried in.

20230520_205218.jpg 20230520_205212.jpg

I can now get the lawnmower out and stain the shed.

There have been a couple of adult robins playing kiss-chase in the garden. If they want another nest they can build it somewhere else.

Found this in a drill case in my mums shed last year. I suspect that was a Robin too.

IMG_4970.jpeg

Just been to see my Dad's widow today. She was telling us about a robin who is nesting in the (detached 1925) brick built garage. It flies into some bushes at the rear side of the garage, then hops along the ground towards the front, then squeaks through under the up and over door into the garage, where there is a nest on a shelf.

Sponsored Links
Back