Strange brown/orange stains on integrated garage ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my house is 13 years old and I have a double integrated garage (walls/ceilings were plaster boarded and painted by builders rather than left as concrete block).
I noticed today that the ceiling is covered in faint small brown/orange circular stains/marks all over (more concentrated in certain parts). A double bedroom is above the garage. Not sure what this is as I thought mould is usually black?
I've taken a couple of pics but they are a bit faint as couldn't get any closer with ceiling being quite high. Anyone any ideas? Was just thinking of painting over it.

Sponsored Links
Can you remove the spores with some bleach solution on a sponge, Emma?
You're right, mould is often black but organic spores can be a variety of colours.
The paint firm Zinsser have a good range of stain blocking paints.
John :)

Thanks john, the ceiling is really high (was going to attach a paint roller to a long pole to paint it originally) but could try to somehow attach a sponge to it.
How many parts bleach to water would you suggest? And I take it that it would be best to try to remove mould before painting? I've got normal white emulsion and dulux bathroom anti mould paint - would either of those be any use or better going for the one you recommend?

Hello again Emma!
I think it's a reasonable idea to see if that mould rubs away.....personally I just use Flash kitchen cleaner with bleach for jobs like this.
The bleach won't necessarily kill any spores, but it will help to clean things up-
I appreciate the height of that ceiling too!
If it was mine, I'd give it a once over with the bathroom paint.....theoretically that should be reasonably mould resistant and see how it goes.
As for the source of the mould, well that's anyone's guess but I have noticed it before where people store timber for logs in the area.....it may or may not be relevant.
Nothing to worry about there! Have a good evening.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again John, there might be something in that timber idea as my dad was storing a load of different types of wood and pallets in the garage to make us a shed last year. Also we store potatoes and onions over the winter that we've grown.
Thanks for your help.
Emma.

Just a wee update in case anyone else has same problem. Found a wall paper brush in garage, attached to long pole and tried brushing ceiling - found the stains just brushed off - sore arms now but clean ceiling! Whether they return or not remains to be seen!

I guess the spores got up there when the garage humidity was high for some reason.....parking a wet car or whatever.
Hope you didn't get a sneezing fit when you brushed the mould away :p
A coat of your bathroom paint will certainly help things in future, if you think it's necessary.
Thanks for the post back!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back