Strange inlet pipe at top of inspection chamber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have discovered a strange inlet pipe about 75 cms below the top of the foul water inspection chamber outside my front door. The chamber itself has an invert level of about 1.32 metres. The upper pipe was full of faeces and paper and on clearing it I found that the water from the hosepipe was flowing back out below, from what is obviously the proper connection to the soil stack. When the upstairs toilet is flushed, some of the water flows out of this upper pipe! The end of the pipe has a flange (it looks like some sort of plastic sleeve connector?), which encourages material to lodge there rather than flow away, and the outfall drops straight down on to the base of the chamber with lots of consequent splatter. Clearly unhealthy, but what really puzzles me is what this pipe is there for and why is it apparently connected to the soil stack? Something is clearly diverting the waste on its way down the soil pipe and because of the poor outlet design, this waste backs up.

Has anyone ever seen such a strange design or have any ideas what I do about it? I am planning a porch extension and am already concerned about the proximity of the foundations to the soil stack outlet and the inspection chamber. This "new" pipe is going to be right in the way!

Sponsored Links
...Or mebbe a drop pipe...
backdrop%20to%20manhole.jpg

This looks helpful - from the drawing it could well be a drop pipe. What is it designed to do? The idea of s**t dropping from a height into the chamber seems horrific and must be against current regulations.

As I don't know what an interceptor trap is I can't offer an opinion. Will take a photo next time it's not raining!

Sponsored Links
The idea of s**t dropping from a height into the chamber seems horrific and must be against current regulations.
!
Not against regs. It's a way of bringing the pipe down to the lower level.
The top bit is plugged until access is needed for rodding.

Ok, having done a bit of research I think I understand what an interceptor trap is - and I don't think my mystery pipe fits the bill. To start with, it's at the wrong height and angle to be a rodding access point (and it faces the wrong way!), nor does it look as if it ever had a cap. Will organise photo asap.

Still raining hard so no photo but having looked online again (DrainDomain.com) I'm pretty certain it's the backdrop shaft/telescopic jobby that noseall posted earlier - thanks again. Looks like a partial blockage somewhere in the T junction if I've got waste coming out of the "telescopic". Time to call the Professionals and consult my drainage cover policy!

Here's the promised photo of the mystery inlet (now pretty much definitely the open end of the "telescopic") complete with fresh s**t!

Think it's pretty certain thats the rodding access to the horizontal run, must be a backdrop outside the chamber. No builder worth his salt is going to make a connection that high, especially on the foul.

Once vertical section is cleaned out it should work as intended. Cant quite see what the plastic collar is, but looks like it may be for clay drainage. I dont think a suitable plug to seal the rodding access point is available, so it may have to be left open. (Wont cause a problem.)

I really like seeing a picture of someones poo while I'm having a cup of tea!

If there is waste up there then I would suggest that the drop pipe is blocked else I wouldn't have thought the waste would get to the end of the top pipe...

Here's the promised photo of the mystery inlet (now pretty much definitely the open end of the "telescopic") complete with fresh s**t!
It`s all down to the velocity of the Richard 111 - he`s flying past the drop pipe - I`ve just had my tea :mad:

Cant quite see what the plastic collar is, but looks like it may be for clay drainage. I dont think a suitable plug to seal the rodding access point is available, so it may have to be left open. (Wont cause a problem.)
Looks like a hepsleve joint ;)

Time to call the Professionals and consult my drainage cover policy!
That`ll cost you £- and it probably won`t be covered :cry: There isn`t actually a lot wrong with it - just renew it in a better manner when you get the porch built ;)

Looks like a hepsleve joint ;)
Didnt want to commit myself to that one Nige! :LOL:

Shove a hosepipe in there, i'd try pushing it up the bottom connection, with a good spray nozzle on the end it may loosen whatever is up there and wash it out. Keep plugging away and job's a good un. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back