Removing inspection chamber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning on building an extension to the rear of my house. Its an end terrace built around 1890 and has a sewer/drain running down the back. There is an inspection chamber right where i want to build my extension.

Its my understanding - from internet research only, that an inspection chamber is required at junctions/bends. I have lifted the inspection hatch and can see a conection (as expected). See pic 1.

take a screenshot

The red arrow shows the flow of waste water from the houses further up the row of terraces. The branch coming in from the side looks as if it comes from my house. This is most likely the old soil stack - no longer n use. Its full of cob webs and is bone dry so clearly isn't in use.

If the branch is no longer needed do i still the inspection chamber? Would I be able to remove the channel branch and replace it with a solid straight piece? If I did, I presume I would no longer need the inspection chamber and could get rid of it all together. There is another chamber about 2 meters away that will remain undisturbed.

photo sharing websites

On the below image the red line shows the presumed pipe line, the blue line up the wall indicates an old disused pipe that runs inside the wall - as stated above, i presume this is an old disused soil pipe.

free image hosting

Sponsored Links
Just get the drainage changes shown on the plans for the extension. clearly showing the intent to remove the old branch and chamber. Show that rodding is viable from the next chamber.

If you can't remove the branch easily then filling it with concrete may be acceptable. You don't want to leave an old drain in a condition where later some-one tries to connect to it.

thanks - the old pipe is smashed to pieces inside the wall - there's no way of reconnecting it so should be ok.

I think its classed as a section 24 drain - i.e. United Utilities own it. does that create a problem?

thanks - the old pipe is smashed to pieces inside the wall - there's no way of reconnecting it so should be ok.

I think its classed as a section 24 drain - i.e. United Utilities own it. does that create a problem?

Only the hassle of getting their permission. If what you say is correct that should be a formality
If your extension is over the drain the same applies, you need to inform them

Sponsored Links
We would do exactly as you have suggested but would re-new the entire pipe that runs beneath the extension.

This would not be all that difficult once you have excavated for the found's and the over-site.

Just be aware that you will have to come up with a satisfactory lintelling arrangement should this sewer pipe pass through any of your proposed foundations.

And get permission of course.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back