Strange New Problem When Downloading WMVs??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem that occurred when I switched from free AVG antivirus 7.5 to 8.0 that I now pay for. Several friends who know a bit about computers seem unable to offer any answers.
Here goes-

The problem occurs when down loading WMV video attachments on emails in my Tiscali in box (my Hotmail account doesn't suffer from this problem).
When I click on the attachment at the top of the email, the box with OPEN, SAVE or CANCEL appears as normal. If i want to view the video straight away, I click on OPEN as usual. Now, instead of the video taking the usual minute or two to download to a temporary file (where the animated piece of paper flies from the globe to the folder), the box disappears straight away. Then the media player appears as normal, shows the first 2 seconds of the video, then freezes. Obviously only the first 2 seconds of the video attachment are being downloaded.
This also happens if I click SAVE on the box, only the first 2 secs of the video are downloaded.

It seems like something is blocking the download process. Are there some settings that need changing, or do you think its more serious?

Sponsored Links
Try turning off the AVG toolbar and the email scanner then try opening the file. I found the toolbar slows the net down considerably because it scans every page opened and if its checking the video while downloading it could be why it takes so long to view.

Had some problems with AVG 8 myself. If you use Zone Alarm as your firewall you may have issues due to compatibility.

I turned of the AVG toolbar but still had problems (possibly due to ZA) so if the fix suggested by kev does not improve the situation you could try the following.

Double click on the AVG icon in system tray.

On the Overview Page/ Security components and Status overview double click Link Scanner clear all boxes then click Save

Do the same for Web Shield.

The main page should now show Link Scanner & Web Shield disabled.

Hardly an elegant solution to disable features of software, but until I have the time to look into this in more detail this quick fix works for me

Sponsored Links
Back