Strange Pin Piercing Pipe

Sponsored Links
Thanks all. Yes, I did ask about whether it was possible to repair it but both plumbers I asked said that is wasn't....I suppose some people are more resourceful than others. I might contact a few more Bristol based plumbers and see if anyone can attempt this for me

If the pipe is a present-day standard diameter (e.g. 15mm) it should be a DIY doddle to repair. Your two plumbers perhaps didn't think there was enough profit to be made :).

Hey Alec,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes they are a standard 15mm. Would you recommend compression fittings, push fit or a new bit of pipe and solder? Considering I've never soldered copper pipes before.

Many thanks
Sam

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your help so far everyone. Based on the advice above, I successfully replaced the penetrated pipe today using a new bit of pipe (bent to shape using a bending spring) and a couple of compression fittings: https://ibb.co/eeBybv and amazingly, no leaks!

However, :( when I try to pressurise the system, the PRV is operating at about 0.5 bar (I can hear the valve venting water and water is also being dumped outside my house), so I'm guessing the PRV is also screwed (either that or the pressure gauge is talking ****).

Also, I have nothing coming from the hot taps....well I do for a few seconds but then nothing, I'm thinking this is probably cold water bleed through from a mixer tap/shower. I thought this might be air lock so have tried pushing some cold water through using a mixer tap with my thumb over the opening and I can hear some gurgling in the boiler when I do this but still nothing flow from the hot taps....

Anyone got any thoughts, it would be much appreciated!

Cheers
Sam

good on you !! is the cold feed to boiler isolated at the boiler ??

the problem you have i suspect , connected to the flow turbine is a flow restrictor and filter ( a wire mesh ) and it is the pin that is connected to this that has broken off and travelled down the hot pipe . the mesh sometimes need cleaning on maintenance for hot water flow or limescale . the reason for no hot water is because this part needs replacing and maybe the flow sensor as well . until that has been replaced you will not be getting hw ;) .

also did you use the PRV to drain the boiler at all ?

hey samshiles don't you think st pauls has improved over the years ;):)

give me an email if you need any help (y)

Last edited:
@terryplumb >> is the cold feed to boiler isolated at the boiler ??

Sorry, not 100% sure what you mean by this. The cold feed is now connected and open/flowing. There is not an isolation valve on the cold feed, only on the filling loop.

@AGAS I have not used the PRV to drain the boiler although I can't be sure if one of the plumbers I've had look at has. Also, it's not that I'm not getting hotwater, it's that there is no flow at all from the hot tap, not even cold water (other than the cold bleed through for a few seconds). It does seem to be holding steady at 0.5 bar but anything more is activating the PRV.

At this stage, I'm considering just going for a boiler replacement as it seems to be quite ****ed and I don't want to spend money on something that needs binning. I've learnt quite a lot from this, so trying to look on the bright side!ah,

And yeah, St Paul's no longer scares the **** out of me, if that's what you mean ;)

the cold feed to the boiler ,where it actually connects to the boiler I.e. where the copper pipe goes into a brass union ( above the filling loop ) there is very often an isolation valve built into the union.

Good shout Terry, I finally managed to get a decent plumber out and he said the same as you, it was isolated on the union, doh!, one of the people I had out to look at it must have turned it off. He also had to replace the PRV and DWH flow sensor but we are now up and running!!!! If anyone needs a brilliant plumber in Bristol I cannot recommend Paul Camp (P A Camp Heating and Plumbing) enough, bloody brilliant.

glad your sorted , well done for making the repair yourself to the copper pipe. think you need to ammend your last post as it reads " can not recommend " "????????????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back