strange screwdriver tool.......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to repair an electric sandwich toaster.....it is a Breville model and I suspect that the cable has been damaged as it has suddenly ceased to work, so I want to check/replace it.

On the bottom of the toaster there is a small 'connection box' in which the cable is secured. The lid of this box is secured by 4 special screws which appear to need a special tool to unscrew. The small screws are partially slotted, i.e., not across the whole width of the screw, just at the edges. Does anyone know if the special screwdriver/tool is available and what it is called? I don't want to throw this toaster out as it isn't that old, but clearly the manufacturer doesn't want to encourage people to dismantle it. Thank you. :)

Sponsored Links
it will cost you more for a set of bits and holder than it will for a new toaster.

maplin sell them (the bits they do)

Sponsored Links
Can't you just file the middle section from an old flat bladed screwdriver and use that?
Breezer, it's a sandwich toaster not a toaster toaster. ;) By the way, are we having a party for your 15,000th post?

breezer said:
as i said, it will cost you more for the "bits" and the "driver" than it will for a new toaster. click me

think off the satisfaction of knowing theres nowt you could do when you look inside :D :D ;)

big-all said:
think off the satisfaction of knowing theres nowt you could do when you look inside :D :D ;)

It's man thing .... and we just have to take things apart, even when we know nothing about what is inside, then poke a round for a bit, and then say "Oh yes, we need a new one"

I've just done this to a Pentax digital camera with a jammed lens - opening it, lost a spring, lost a tiny screw, broke a wire, and I did not have a clue what I was doing. But I can now confirm that it is definetly broken :oops:

exactly woody :D :D

i have to look at anything that dosnt work or dos'nt work properly its the satisfaction of knowing youve done your best or indeed fixed it :D :D

the down side is the drawers full of junk you keep just in case they can be used as "spare parts :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

ASDA do a set of Draper security bits for a couple of quid. try your nearest one, its with all the DIY stuff.

Guys...

Many thanks indeed for all these postings...brilliant! Yes, you are right, I just have to know if I can repair this thing cos I hate throwing good gadgets away. It is a rather expensive cafe-style flat plate sandwich grill/toaster, cost around £40, so you see why I want to try and replace the cable.

Peter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back