Strange sounds coming from new IDEAL logic heat boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I wonder if anyone could help me. I went into the garage the other day and heard the boiler keep booting in about every 30 seconds. It seems to get upto temperature, turn off and then drop in temperature quite quickly, it then boots in to get back upto temperature and do the cycle all again. Its a new build house, initially they wired the boiler up wrong whereby the pump on the water tank was running continuously for like 2 months. They then fixed that issue saying it had been wired up wrong at the boiler in the garage. Now I have noticed this temperature problem. So before I contact them and have them fob me off and say this is how they work I wanted qualification off you guys.

I hope you guys can help. I have took a video of what happens.

Sponsored Links
as above you have a circulation problem, boiler is likely to be still under warranty but doubt that it is boiler fault, looks more like an external wiring fault or controls fault

Sponsored Links
Hi guys me again,

I had Ideal out to check over the boiler today. He said everything to do with the boiler was working fine. And said what you guys said was a circulation problem. Pump is fine aswell.
But he did point out because I have 2 thermostats in the house (1 controls the house which has 12 radiators most have TRV's and the other thermostat in the lounge controls 2 radiators with no TRV's). He said because the lounge is such a short run I would need a bypass to be fitted by a plumber. Now I did a quick search on google and found out what a Bypass Valve is and there is already one fitted on the system. Please see attached picture. Was he just trying to fob me off because its not a boiler fault? The problem with the boiler on the video above only occurs when the Lounge heating is on, so narrowing it down slowly. But just wondering what he said to me was correct?

Another thing the bypass valve seems to be set to 0.5 could this at all have something to do with it?

Your feedback would be a great help guys.

IMG_0523.jpg

Try setting bypass to 3 and pump to max, see if it improves things, the setting can be refined later.

Is your two radiators in the lounge heating up ok if the answer is yes this is normal working operation as once these radiators are at temperature they won’t take very long to keep heating up until thermostat is satisfied.

If you have no demand for heating or hot water one of your zone valve end switches is stuck causing boiler to boot up as you call it.

Bypass needs to be set right out to 1/2 due to modulating pump as it doesn’t open.
Do you have weather comp fitted?
If so then the boiler also needs to have a switched live into SL2 when hot water is satisfied.
If not fitted then the boiler stays on even if timer off.
Turn off all stats/timers and boiler should go to 00 in the display.
If not then that is the fault.
Also need to check pcb variation is an e board as earlier ones not compatible with newer version of weather compensation kit.
But more than likely site wiring.

Is your two radiators in the lounge heating up ok if the answer is yes this is normal working operation as once these radiators are at temperature they won’t take very long to keep heating up until thermostat is satisfied.
I should imagine that, 10 weeks on from his last post, this is now fixed

Thank you so much for all the responses. As it’s a new build its with the heating engineers. They are still yet to resolve the problem. But haven’t had heating in since, they should be around in the next few weeks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back