strange sounds from Ideal Icos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
The boiler is an Ideal Icos HE18 (approx 2 yrs old) and has an f&e tank in the loft.
The flow and return pipes go from the boiler on the ground floor, up to the loft, then across the house and back down to the airing cupboard.

The problem is that about 15 mins after being turned on the boiler starts to make some very loud "gulping" sounds. - when I say loud I do mean concerningly loud.

There are air relief valves in the loft 1 x manual and 1 x automatic. I've bled the manual one until water comes out but the noises don't want to go away.

Any suggestions / advice greatly appreciated.

thanks
pete

Sponsored Links
Has it been serviced from new?

I would want to check the condensate trap is clear first of all.

Thanks for the reply Gasforyou,

while checking the condensate for blockages I noticed it was dripping constanty, even though the boiler had been turned off for 48 hours.

Decided to phone Ideal who said it sounded like heat exchanger needs replacing.
They said they can repair it for £210 including vat and all parts.
(sounds like a bargain to me)

thanks
pete

Sponsored Links
Decided to phone Ideal who said it sounded like heat exchanger needs replacing.

What another one :eek:

The carpness of these boilers is starting to really surprise even me :rolleyes:

Do you know how reliable the newer Ideal Isar is?

A lot of them have been and still are being fitted in my area.

By new I mean installed around March 2008 time.

The isars fitted around march 2008 still had the CP circulating pumps fitted. They're more or less guaranteed to fail. The condense is still a crap design and prone to leaking.

The latest isars have Grundfos pumps fitted and easier connections but they still weigh a bloody ton. We now have a new problem to contend with, the isolating valves are now lever valves rather than screwdriver slot ones. Fitting a nisar the other week and I dropped the flow valve, the lever snapped off the valve, when I looked the spindle had snapped half way down.

Mike

blame bg for the new isar,they asked ideal to make it for them,cut all the costs and then pulled the plug because ideal wouldn't put a bg badge instead of ideal

The isars fitted around march 2008 still had the CP circulating pumps fitted. They're more or less guaranteed to fail. The condense is still a rubbish design and prone to leaking.

The latest isars have Grundfos pumps fitted and easier connections but they still weigh a b****y ton. We now have a new problem to contend with, the isolating valves are now lever valves rather than screwdriver slot ones. Fitting a nisar the other week and I dropped the flow valve, the lever snapped off the valve, when I looked the spindle had snapped half way down.

Mike

Interesting.

I thought the boiler would be light given it's size.

I guess my Grandad will have to get used to the engineers fixing the boiler in his house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back