strange surges in water flow!

Have you been up into the loft and checked the cold storage cistern?

Check:

1. That the cold outlet isn't blocked by debris or mouse/bird carcass.
2. That all valves on the cold outlet are fully open (also check in the airing cupboard).

Sponsored Links
quote="jo2007

Incidentally... maybe I should admit at this point that I am in fact female (I can almost see your collective eyes rolling upwards at this point :LOL: )
Jo

Well you said it. Decide wether the problem is with your hot supply or your cold. Do you have all mixer taps or not? if not what happens if you turn on your Hot tap only? What happens when you turn on your Cold tap only?

Give me a clue :rolleyes:

jo2007 said:

- actually it may be just the cold water. John's question made me double check all the hot taps and it's only the mixer taps where hot seems to be affected, so I'm guessing that could be because of the cold (?).

- it's not really a splutter, it's a regular pattern of surges, about 1 per second. It's almost as if someone's turning the taps half off and back on again so the flow peaks and troughs. But there is always a flow, no air pockets or spluttering as it comes out.

- cold water from mains, hot from a standard copper boiler that's fed from cold tank in the loft...

So it appears to be only the cold, mains-fed water that does it.

I'm thinking supply or loose jumper on stop cock. But IANAP and I've never experienced what you describe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back