Strange theory....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just watching Child Genius and, having gone on a Google trail while it's on, came across this theory....

While IQ has been increasing over the post few decades, intelligence itself is decreasing. Due to the following:

Teaching methods in general favour passing of IQ tests, but, most controversially
Intelligence being highly inheritable, it is decreasing across the population as intelligent people tend to have fewer children than those of lower intelligence.
So, while the world's population increases, the actual number of intelligent people is decreasing.

Sponsored Links
Intelligence being highly inheritable

Is that a theory or a hypothesis?

To what extent is it genetically influenced, and to what extent by environment and upbringinging? Why is IQ not inherited by adopted children?

Would you agree the the most consistently heritable characteristic is wealth (or poverty)?

Intelligent people usually have fewer children because children are a pita.

Sponsored Links
Queen Victoria had nine kids, how thick was she.
The working classes now have smaller families than they did in previous generations.
Does this mean working class people are becoming more intelligent.

Intelligent people usually have fewer children because children are a pita.
^^this with bells on^^

it's some sort of evolvement in reverse.

Is that a theory or a hypothesis?

To what extent is it genetically influenced, and to what extent by environment and upbringinging? Why is IQ not inherited by adopted children?

Would you agree the the most consistently heritable characteristic is wealth (or poverty)?
the Nurture or Nature question .... both seem very important

An IQ test is a very poor measure of intelligence, it merely tests ones ability to do IQ tests. As an example my father has a below average IQ and I can assure you he is a very intelligent guy (not inherited, I will stress)

An IQ test is a very poor measure of intelligence, it merely tests ones ability to do IQ tests. As an example my father has a below average IQ and I can assure you he is a very intelligent guy (not inherited, I will stress)

That's (part of) the point in my original post. Although IQ scores were increasing, intelligence was declining.

That's (part of) the point in my original post. Although IQ scores were increasing, intelligence was declining.

ok, but how is intelligence be8ng measured, I certainly see the younger generations as being much less practically able, but that's because there is a diminished need to be so.

Human evolution has changed significantly in the last 200 years. Medical science fixes poor health, poor fertility and we are able to parent kids much later in life passing on inferior dna.

The best thing you can do for the environment is limit your reproduction to 2.

I think you tend to learn your diy skills from your parents. My dad built boats and made solar panels in the 70s. I spent many a weekend holding a bit of asbestos while he blow torched some pipework or mixing resin to seal copper stitched dingy panels.

Human evolution has changed significantly in the last 200 years. Medical science fixes poor health, poor fertility and we are able to parent kids much later in life passing on inferior dna.

The best thing you can do for the environment is limit your reproduction to 2.

No natural selection in humans.
There was a chap last century that tried eugenics but it was frowned upon.

If intelligence is declining and IQ scores are increasing does this mean that IQ tests are a measure of stupidity rather than intelligence.

Sponsored Links
Back