Strange timber wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hope you're all keeping well.

We're hoping to open up the under stairs pantry doorway in our 1895 terrace house to accommodate a fridge, but are unsure if the timber wall is load-bearing.

We actually had it boarded and plastered when we moved in, so I can't upload a picture, but the timber is basically heavy duty vertical lengths butted up against each other in a row.

I've never come across a wall like it, so I was wondering if it was basically how they made stud walls back then or if it's just a poor job from many years ago?

Sponsored Links
_20200604_195404.JPG
This is similar to how it's laid out

Probably match-boarding - very common in the 19th century; not load-bearing, just used to fill the triangular gap under the stairs.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Tony.

The boarding actually seems to run all the way to the upstairs of the house, creating a partition for the box room at the top of the stairs. Has anyone ever known this type of wall to be structural? It'd be great to get rid of the whole thing and expose the staircase if possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back