Strange

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well I got home the other day to find that my combi had tripped out with an error. I turned on the gas cooker to find I had a pulsating flame. I phoned National Grid and they diagnosed water in the service pipe and sucked it out.

Two days later and the gas is pulsating again.

I guess its full of water again and looks like they will need to lay a new pipe. *not* the time of year for this sort of thing though !!

Anyone else had this ?

Sponsored Links
What was the cause of yours. NG are going to dig an exploratory hole to test the service pipe around the house as its all concrete. If it passes its a dig up the road job. There is no detectable gas leak, and no evidence of a water leak. My drive is quite steep, and the road slopes away from the house. Its quite strange.

Sponsored Links
They replaced the pipe anyway, even though they could not find any damage and the issues went away.

Well - they put a camera down my service pipe and pressure tested it. Found nothing, put a camera up the mains and found nothing. They think it might be a small part of the service pipe on the other side of the road that has a hot iron joint that was not accessible by the camera.

The saga continues.

Well - they put a camera down my service pipe

I had that done in hospital and it didn't half hurt....:cry:(n)

The upside was I could see my bruised, battered and bleeding prostate on a colour screen!

I had that done in hospital and it didn't half hurt....:cry:(n)

The upside was I could see my bruised, battered and bleeding prostate on a colour screen!

And ?? don't leave it on a cliff hanger - lol

Woke up this morning to the gas off again. Got to have another suck job ! Turns out on the other side of the road is a water main and a high voltage cable. They are digging that up next.

I had a camera up my service pipe and it makes you produce a lot of gas when they take it out!

Low pressure gas main with a leak in water logged ground. Gas doesn't come but water goes in if the depth of water is more than a metre deep.

Gas pressure in a low pressure street main is between 30 to 75 millibars which is equivalent to 300 to 750 mm head of water.

So if the gas main is at the lowest acceptable pressure ( 30 millibars ) then with about a foot ( 300 mm ) of water above the leak water will go into the gas pipe.

Apparently they have a lorry to suck the aggregate up as opposed to digging because there is a high voltage cable that runs along side the water and gas pipe on the other side of the road. They think thats where the water is getting in. I will know more on Friday when they begin. Until then its a daily suck out job.

Sponsored Links
Back