Strangely enough

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you just read my peevious thread would it surprise you to find out that I'm considering doing a distance study course to become a fully qualified and professional electrician- does anyone have any advice, opinion, gripe to share with such a course? The company I've been in touch with claims to get you fully qualified from 6 months up to 2 years at a cost of £5,200. What do you reckon?

Sponsored Links
if i was you i would do the 2330 level 2

then the 2330 level 3

then 17th eddition

then the 2391

but in between the 2330 level 3 and the 17th eddition try and do the ellectrical installation nvq level 3 ;)

thats just my oppinion

Do it at college if you can. These distance learning courses are all about getting you in and qualified whatever way possible. You'll end up being qualified but with no (or very little) hands on experience. There are all sorts of promises made with "projected" salaries that aren't remotely realistic.

The gf did a similar gas installers course a couple of years ago and found that those students that didn't make the pass mark would end up complaining saying they'd paid out thousands and were "guranteed" to pass. The result was they all did pass and didn't have a clue what they were doing. Those that did pass on merit lacked experience and had sunk alot of money into the course just to find as a newly qualified installer they were struggling to make ends meet. While I admit this was gas installation not electrical, I think the outcome would be the same. :cry:

I'd take kfelec's advice. Do it at college gaining some contacts and work experience wherever possible.

Just my 2p's worth... :LOL:

bongos is right what hes saying because are firm had lads onsite who had more qualifications than you dont no what and were asking me how to wire a door bell with the diagram in there hands :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Get to college, evening courses if you have to and prostitute yourself with an electrician in your spare time!!!

How anyone is expected to learn installation techniques and the endless pit of experience from 200 miles away and via an envelope is beyond me.

£5K sounds about right, but at college you can pick the pro's brain and build up a pool of like minded people to draw on!

Good luck BTW, best thing I ever did, and love every day doing it

Cheers everyone, I've changed my mind and started hanging out on street corners instead :evil:

doing anything "fast track" is a bad idea.
You're better off trying to get in with a professional in your chosen field and working with them while taking a 1, 2 or 3 year college course that gives you the technical knowledge to compliment your practical experience.

electrics, unlike things like flying etc, there is no need to log a specific amount of hours actually doing it to be qualified.
as a result there a plenty of "qualified" people out there that may have the book smarts to do a job, but not the street smarts..
I myself am qualified in inspection and testing, but if you dropped me in the middle of a factory with nothing but a tester and an A4 notepad I'd struggle to do the job because I haven't had the need to do that in my past work experience to any great degree..
that's not to say I couldn't muddle through and do the job but I wouldn't be as fast or proficient as someone who does I&T every week or so.

I myself am qualified in inspection and testing, but if you dropped me in the middle of a factory with nothing but a tester and an A4 notepad I'd struggle to do the job because I haven't had the need to do that in my past work experience to any great degree..

I wouldn't be too worried col... while its a a world away from the 2391 classroom environment, it doesn't take too long for a competant electrician to get in the swing of things after realising a few basic things... namely that you don't do a massive amount of actual testing (most of the time you're only walking around with the loop tester), theres a fair few limitations get recorded, and most faults get picked up during the inspection, oh and a camera is usful too :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back