Strimmer/Brushcutter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My lawnmower is (I think) broken, after several years of abuse. It caught a piece of sofa cushion stuffing, made a burning smell, and seems to have changed pitch.

Since my garden is filled with such wonders, replacing just to burnout again seems a bit of a waste, so I started looking at strimmers / brushcutters.

Ryobi do a good looking electric model for £100, which I nearly ordered, but after a quick look on here, got the impression I my sever my legs with it.

I consider myself relativly careful, I have an angle grinder that I've never come close to losing control of, and wont hold a chainsaw, let alone use one.

Is the blade attachment that dangerous? Should I just pop it in the bin and use the wire?

Is Ryobi anygood? My plot is about 70x20 feet but I really dont want to step to petrol.

Sponsored Links
why not just clean up your garden it sounds like its a ***** camp

That's too big an area to comfortably do with an electric strimmer every week.

All electric strimmers are rubbish. (At least when compared to petrol ones). Totally avoid battery ones except for "oh, there's a dandelion over there, I've got just the tool" type scenarios for people who work so hard at being lazy they don't realise they could just pull it by hand.

This is a ruddy DIY forum - strip your mower down, get rid of the bit of rope or fabric that's wrapped itself around the cutter or drum, and tidy your garden up!

Cost, nil. Even give you my advice for free. You're on a winner here!

why not just clean up your garden it sounds like its a ***** camp
I've already cleared two skip loads and I didnt bury the bloody sofa.

All electric strimmers are rubbish.
I was kinda hoping there was a higher end one somewhere.

This is a ruddy DIY forum - strip your mower down, get rid of the bit of rope or fabric that's wrapped itself around the cutter or drum

I did have a look but didnt find any obvious way to take the mower apart.

The two models I weas looking at were
http://www.bosch-pt.co.uk/boptocs2-...=en&division=aw&ccat_id=169222&object_id=9318
http://www.ryobi-direct.com/acatalog/Ryobi_1000w_Electric_Brush_Cutter.html

Are they still going to be basicaly a waste of money?

Sponsored Links
Hire a petrol one, once you've done it once you won't need to use it again, provided you mow the lawn regularly.

It will take longer and will look crap, plus the cost of strimming line.

Ok, I feel we're going a little bit off topic here.

The important bit of my ramble was am I likely to chop a foot off with the metal brush cutter blade, or is it a reasonably safe piece of kit

Brushcutters are perfectly safe, so long as the blade guard is in place and the blade has been mounted correctly. Obviously they are more viscious than a strimmer line but to the operator they present no hazard but boots and goggles should be worn. If you have an electric machine you should be using a circuit breaker plugged into the mains outlet.
I have a Honda strimmer / brushcutter - four stroke, quiet and easily powerful enough. No cables to cut through, either!
John :)

In the pro kit, it shouldn't be possible for the blade to ever reach back far enough to hit your toesie-wosies whilst wearing a proper harness. (Ok, you /can/, but you do have to struggle a bit)

DIY stuff, no idea, but I imagine it's a lot easier to do yourself a mischief. If it's just a single strap harness I think I'd be very very careful.

sorry to jump in. Dont wanna start a thread just for this...

could anyone out there tell me if this is worth the money?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ryobi-Petrol-...arden_GardenPowerTools_CA&hash=item588e2a6c15

I could do with each part. I have a pretty big garden with cliffy bits etc so the hedge trimmer bit would be handy for reaching those bits... the brushcutter would be handy around the place...

I have a cheap one thats on its way out so fancy getting a good one thatll last me longer...

Anyone have this or any expert opinions? :)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Its certainly good value, and Ryobi stuff is improving - or at least the spares situation is.
I don't own one but I've repaired a couple of similar machines.....the only comment is the power of the tiller. If the soil is dead soft its quite good but if there's a bit of clay it struggles.
It could be worth looking around for a Stihl or Husqvarna equivalent but they could be more than you want to pay.
John :)

Cheers thats a good point about the tiller. Itll prob be useless for my needs. Its on my to do list to replace the front lawn so that prob wouldnt be capable!

Found it for 300 without the tiller so just gotta convince myself :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back