Strimmer that uses blades?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need a new strimmer. Mine has the plastic wire cutting system but I've been told that the bladed ones are much less hassle. Can anyone recommend a good one that they've used (that's still available to buy, obviously!) I don't need an edging tool attachment as I use my long clippers for that. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I'm sure I've seen plastic blades you can put on the bigger (petrol driven) strimmers- no good on hedges but should see the big weeds off :).
Or splash out £25 on this thing :) Scary strimmer

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
There are various options depending whether you want mains, battery or petrol, and of course your budget.

I used to have a relatively cheap MacAllister (B&Qs own brand) 18V strimmer that took plastic blades instead of nylon line. They do save the frustration of snapped line all the time however I did find they wear down relatively quickly so need replacing frequently.

I now own a Stihl 18V strimmer which can take spools of nylon line as normal, or a "PolyCut mowing head" which takes plastic blades similar to the MacAllister. I think most of the Stihl range can take both but obviously check before you buy.

I also own a Stihl petrol brushcutter which takes nylon line (much thicker nylon line than the cordless) but can also be retro-fitted with a metal cutting blade. I've never used a metal blade with it as I've found the thicker line is strong enough for what I use it for, and the metal cutting blades can be rather viscous / dangerous so probably not appropriate in many situations. I would certainly want to wear long trousers and sleeves and a full face mask!

Sponsored Links
I'm sure I've seen plastic blades you can put on the bigger (petrol driven) strimmers- no good on hedges but should see the big weeds off :).
Or splash out £25 on this thing :) Scary strimmer
whilst i know its tongue in cheek that link is so dangerous i feel it needs a mention as do not ever think this is an option unless self mutilation and possible death is your wish this is not a safety compliant tool in any respect just a dangerous Chinese offering :rolleyes:

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back