Strimmer won't stop...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Qualcast 2 stroke strimmer sometimes won't stop after use. I've changed the switch and will see if this cures the problem. I'm wondering if a 2 stroke can run if the plug isn't sparking, like a car engine "running on" ? Maybe the shorting coil is breaking down when hot?

Sponsored Links
The switch effectively connects the ignition module to earth and I'm sure this will sort your problem.
I've never heard of two stroke plugs getting so hot as to cause pre ignition - but it was an issue years ago with some carburettored cars. These were given a fuel shut off valve to cure it but the problem stemmed from incorrect ignition timing.
John :)

Qualcast 2 stroke strimmer sometimes won't stop after use. I've changed the switch and will see if this cures the problem. I'm wondering if a 2 stroke can run if the plug isn't sparking, like a car engine "running on" ? Maybe the shorting coil is breaking down when hot?
I shouldn't complain, most people post because they cant start or keep them running, you may have to judge it so you finish the job as it runs out of fuel :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
litl

I shouldn't complain, most people post because they cant start or keep them running, you may have to judge it so you finish the job as it runs out of fuel :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
litl
You stole my line! (No pun intended)

How does it stop? The shorting may be being stopped by a film of oil or something
I grew up with a lawnmower that was a pig to stop and the most important thing was to clean the bit that touched the plug to earth before starting

Sponsored Links
A build up of carbon inside the cylinder can glow red hot and then act like a spark plug and ignite the compressed air and petrol vapour.

. I'm wondering if a 2 stroke can run if the plug isn't sparking,

it's possible if it is badly coked up and there are glowing carbon deposits in the cylinder. it would run pretty rough.

edit
too slow

litl
Love it :p
The scavenging (Schneurle effect - excuse the spelling) causes the carbon build up to be in the exhaust port and silencer of two strokes and won't cause 'run on'.

It does seem to happen mostly after a good session when it's hot . I'll see if the new switch does any good. This machine is a good starter and I can always stop it by closing the choke flap. Shouldn't really complain ,it's 6 years old.

I think that would be painful, I can feel the current through the rubber plug cap! My main interest was whether a 2 stroke can run without a spark, the rest is testing with a meter.

I think that would be painful, I can feel the current through the rubber plug cap! My main interest was whether a 2 stroke can run without a spark, the rest is testing with a meter.
Ive not seen a 2T run on in nearly 60 years of use and repair f them.
If you want to try flipping the plug cap, ease it off the springy part with an insulated screwdriver so you dont get a belt.
Back in the days when no suppressor caps were fitted I worked with an old guy who used to stop them by catching hold of the brass end of the the lead and pretty quick learned to keep beyond arms length from him, some will know just what Im talking about:eek:
litl

I guess the answer is yes - so long as there are glowing deposits within the combustion chamber. If the spark plug is the incorrect grade or the timing is way out then theoretically its glowing tip could do the same.
In practice, its an extremely rare occurrence, particularly in two strokes......I've never come across it, and that includes exhaust development work in my early days (1970's) with Rotax and JLO engines where huge revs were common place. Weak mixture never caused running on, but was sufficient to melt pistons - the heat was so great.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back