Stringer angle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi! I measured my stringer angle as 44 degrees with a clinometer app on my andriod phone, I then removed the stair newel post, balusters, stringers to sand and paint the bases, before this I ordered a new replacement online with measurements for all replacement parts, however strangely enough the company called me and said are you sure it's not 47 degrees? Weird, use a digital protractor they said more accurate. I am determined to not waste £50 or even £20 on a digital protractor a phone will do the same thing and Clinometer has great reviews much better than ihandy! I used ihandy BTW on my wifes iPhone was about 1 degree difference. Because everything is now removed I used my professional builders level in different areas of my small stringer base and leaned my phone against the level and found it to be 43.8 to 44 degrees in most places of the stringer top to bottom. So for me it's 44, why is the company saying it's 47? I'm puzzled I thought Uk regulations were 42 anyway, these stairs are 120 years old, solid as a rock, timber. These houses were built before the 1920 mock tudor mine a prototype you could say in Surrey 20 years before the tudor mock boom! and also does 1 or 2 degrees matter for an online order? shall i trust a digital protractor instead?

Thanks for any help on this!

Sponsored Links
all depends on how you measure it just think 90 degrees
most stars are 42 degrees or less so greater than 45 would be fro 90 so 47 would probably actually be 43 as in measure from the horizontal not the vertical

All you need is a spirit level.

Mark a line parallel to the string, on the wall

Use your spirit level to mark a vertical line and a horizontal line, so the 3 lines form a triangle.

Then get angle using trigonometry - download an app, I use right angled triangle solver.

As far as I know, building regs is 42 degrees maximum pitch. A like for like replacement doesnt have to comply (I think -do check, dont take my word for it).

all depends on how you measure it just think 90 degrees
most stars are 42 degrees or less so greater than 45 would be fro 90 so 47 would probably actually be 43 as in measure from the horizontal not the vertical
Yes if 43 degrees rise , 47 degrees would be the cut on the handrail ?

Sponsored Links
draw a horizontal line from the upper part of the stringer, then draw a vertical line down to the bottom of the stringer. Measure both lines and with the magic of Pythagoras you can very accurately determine the angle.

You have 2 angles so it depends which you measured.

This one is 42deg but some people may measure it on the top section at 48deg

1878E40F-7315-45F8-8A18-6E3CE5B33B30.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back