Strip concrete foundation for planed log cabin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to work out a plan for constructing a planed log cabin in my back garden. It will be used as an independent living space - so I will need to connect to sewerage for waste/waste water from toilet/sinks/showe and have electric/water connections.

If I put in a 15 cm strip foundation (is this sufficient - or could i even get away with less??), how do I allow for these? I just need a couple of wavins coming placed in the foundation or what?

I've assisted someone in doing a couple of founds for garages so I reckon I can save a few pounds and do this myself - just unsure about the services aspect of it.

Sponsored Links
Services may be different rules as you`re in Eire.........Local Building Control :?: Local electrician/Plumber possibly

over here, a log cabin is treated as a garden shed; but if you give it a WC it becomes subject to much more controls.

Building controls a joke in Ireland - for the moment at least. So my concerns are only in relation to how I go about doing this.

Another question thats sprung up in the meantime. If i'm constructing this on a concrete strip foundation, what - if any - steps can I take to prevent damp decaying the base of cabin??

Sponsored Links
raise the timber above the level of the concrete, e.g. on a dwarf wall with DPC.

Find a way of preventing water run-off from the eaves dripping or splashing onto the timber.

JohnD said:
raise the timber above the level of the concrete, e.g. on a dwarf wall with DPC.

Find a way of preventing water run-off from the eaves dripping or splashing onto the timber.
So if i used two courses of solid concrete block on the flat? Would this look ok? (we dont tend to use bricks over here).
Apologies in advance for asking a basic question - but where should the dpc go? Between foundation and block or between block and cabin?

I suppose this would facilitate getting services too.

it should be above the level of the ground, as water may lie on the foundations after rain, and can bounce up 150mm or so in storms. Can be between courses of blocks or on top of the blocks and under the timber. Shape it so that any water will run off and not lie on it.

If you paint the blocks with a suitable masonry paint, it will blend in with the timber and not look obtrusive (e.g. I use chocolate brown on concrete fence posts and gravel board to blend in with a dark brown fence). This also gives some protection from the weather.

Thanks for that JohnD.

I suppose raising it up a couple of levels could give me the opportunity to get services in (waste pipes, etc.). I wonder what the mimimum gradient would be for these to work effectively?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back