strip light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
iam wanting to install a strip light in my garage ive already got one cable going to the light at the moment. but i've looked at the strip light and its got two white wires going to a terminal block which ones live and which ones neutral or dosen't it matter. :?:

Sponsored Links
there are no such standard coloured mains cables which are white (the sheath can be but not the actual cores) if you have white wire and it is not covered in paint, it sounds like some one has used "bell wire" in this case i would be inclined to change the cable to 1mm twin and earth. also it means that your light is not earthed which is dangerous

inside the fitting they will be white, in the metal backing of the fitting, next to the terminal blocks should have 'L' 'N' and 'E' stamped into it

that is true, but "help" implied the incoming wires are white, perhaps i misunderstood his post

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
that is true, but "help" implied the incoming wires are white, perhaps i misunderstood his post

i ment inside the fitting but the is no live earth or neutral markings on the terminal block

thanks for your help

Help! said:
breezer said:

i ment inside the fitting but the is no live earth or neutral markings on the terminal block

thanks for your help

look on the light fitting, is there somewere the terminal block lives? look for 2 "prongs" that a terminal block could fit on, there should be some markings on the light fitting itself.

oh, my misunderstanding then. In that case connect your new 1mm twin and earth colour to colour red to red black to black etc then connect it to your new light as marked

i still cant see any live earth and neutral markings

the middle conector should have a 'tag' coming from the metal casing, that is earth, the one on the right of it is live on alot of em, cant you trace one of the whites? it will be marked on the balast or other control gear

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back