Loft lighting circuit problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm new on here and hope someone can sort a problem I've got. I'm trying to add strip lights to the loft. I've got a live feed and have run the live to the top of my single switch. I've wired up strip light number one and run the live to the L1 on the switch. I've then joined the 2 neutral wires together and it works fine. However, I want to add a second strip light. From this second strip light I've run the live to the L1 again and I've joined the neutral to the 2 other neutral wires.

The problem is that the second light is always on, no matter if I switch the light switch on or off.

Where have I gone wrong?

Sponsored Links
Hello,

It sounds like you have picked up your 'feed' instead of your 'switch' line ?.

Ed.

Yes, as stated it sounds like you've got the supply wired to L1, with the (working) light taken from the common - just try moving the live to your new second light to the other terminal in the switch.

Alternatively, you could just feed the second light from the first, rather than running it back to the switch...

Sponsored Links
I agree with Eddy. But have you verified that you have a 'live' in the top of the switch? Have you mixed live and neutral somewhere? Edit: Forget that, wouldn't work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back