strip wood or replace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I posted this comment on another forum but it is more appropriate here -

Our house has a dark feel to it which I'm trying to brighten up downstairs.

We have a great-looking wooden bannister / balcony which is mahogony stained (I think) but I would prefer a lighter coloured wood.
We have matching internal doors and doorframes too (ie magogony).

Would it make more sense (cheaper & easier) to replace the bannister and the doors (which are mainly glass panelled) and door frames than to get them stripped and oak-stained?
Either way I would have a tradesman do the jobs.
The idea is to also have an oak (or near oak coloured) wooden floor in the hallway that leads to the above mentioned doors etc
Advice welcomed!

cheers, Calvados

Sponsored Links
I think a little test would be in order first to see exactly how the woodwork has been finished. I'd try scrapping a section to see if a wood stain has been used as opposed to a coloured varnish. A wood stain such as colron will have penetrated into the wood more than a varnish and as such will be harder to lighten.
As to which is the best method of achieving the look you want , replace or strip, it's almost impossible to say , you'll need to get quotes in and compare, although if I had to guess I'd probably say stripping MAY be cheaper. All I can say is that there is likely to be a highish price and some mess either way.

thanks. for that.

what trades do I look for for the stripping & revarnishing option and for the door frame & bannister replacement option?

joiner, carpenter, furniture restorer...

Sponsored Links
Try your local paper and look for carpentry servives for the replacement option and a decorator for the stripping.If you're having it all done then you may also need the decorator for the finishing work too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back