Striplight on bookcase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve built this bookcase which is awaiting its top coat of brown.

C71EACF1-FFFD-4D33-9962-003F8100FD01.jpeg

I am planning for two lengths of striplight to be fitted to the back of these two shelves to provide a backlit effect:

6180EEB3-A6E6-4660-AD74-BCE8126DA06A.jpeg

I’ve purchased these 3 for the lighting:

48DC98FF-9DC4-411B-BBC5-504B8B154313.jpeg 8F4FD759-AC68-4606-B7A8-D3A61D03D42D.jpeg FDE203C1-75B7-4FED-9C61-1B12ACE184F6.jpeg

The strip can be cut to size and stick to the back of the shelf. I was planning to wire the connecting cable into a junction box and then take these two sets of wires to my transformer. I also need a way to pin the wires behind the shelves so they aren’t visible. A sticky cable tie perhaps as I am unable to get a hammer behind the shelf for a cable pin?

Which cable should I use from the junction boxes to the transformer and should I have a third junction box just before the transformer so a single cable goes into the transformer?

Also which cable should I use on the 240v end of the transformer? This will have a mains plug on it as it will be powered from a socket.

I would appreciate some guidance with this. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Uhm, I would use these

https://www.screwfix.com/p/2-way-ad...2r6BhE6Ra9lEv7reAtwaAusoEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I would run the cables under the shelf at the back at a lower level. No I wouldn;t use a junction box before the 'transformer' and since it's double isolated, an earth is not required, so a length of 0.5mm 2 core will be fine (3A fuse) direct to your 'transformer'. You can use the same cable to connect up the LED tape.

Sponsored Links
In the 'fused switch' you would screw to the unit inside one of the apertures.
Can I put the 3amp fuse in the plug as @Taylortwocities has suggested?

If I’ve understood correctly:
- cut 2 led strips to size
- connect the tails to each one of them
- screw the tails into a junction box each. Note that they are far apart from each other
- connect a length of the round 2 core flex to each of these junction boxes
- connect the other end of these 2 cables (round flex) into transformer
- use a new length of the 2 core flex on the mains end of the transformer with a plug (3 amp fuse) to plug into the mains socket

Please let me know if I am missing anything with the above approach.

I really appreciate your help with this.

Thought that you might have understood the basics by now.
With respect, you must take your expertise for granted. I think I have a reasonable grasp of the basics but I always find it helpful to check with you guys where I am unsure. If we take this as a case in point, you’ve suggested a fuse in the plug and @danechip has proposed the fused switch approach.

Actually, I take back the fused switch as you will be using a plug anyway. An 'inline switch' or a regular wall switch using a surface mounted box. While I'm at it, I would go for a small hobby box and put the 'transformer' in that too along with a couple of choc blocks.

You would only need one junction box where the 2 leads for LED and output of the 'transformer' meet.

because of the location of these two led strips on the bookcase, the led tails. These wires:
0B333114-CE58-4FF4-8E9E-3CCB3375DBD2.jpeg
aren’t long enough to reach a transformer. That’s why I was proposing a junction box

I am beginning to think this project will take many months more to come to an end. Box it together, fill it. Paint it how ever you like, Stick in battery LED's from poundland, Job done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back