Striplight on bookcase

And if I wanted to add a Switch in this set up, I could insert a FCU between the transformer and these boxes?

Sponsored Links
You can use super glue to fix the led strips down. I used the gel version. Make sure you have a bowl of water ready for when you get
it all over your fingers (y)

And if I wanted to add a Switch in this set up, I could insert a FCU between the transformer and these boxes?
Normally you would put the switch between the PLUG and the Transformer so you switch the 240v supply, you dont need to switch the Blue Neutral really.
I would not reccomend switching the 12 volt output side from the Transformer as running it with no load may cause damage to it long term.

Normally you would put the switch between the PLUG and the Transformer so you switch the 240v supply, you dont need to switch the Blue Neutral really.
I would not reccomend switching the 12 volt output side from the Transformer as running it with no load may cause damage to it long term.
And in this configuration I can have a 13 amp fuse in the plug as the FCU will have a 3amp fuse?

Sponsored Links
And in this configuration I can have a 13 amp fuse in the plug as the FCU will have a 3amp fuse?

You don't need a switched FCU between the plug and transformer, just a standard switch, and use a 3A fuse in the plug.

As conny says use a switch, fcus are a bit ugly, if you start putting 13a fuses in, then the mains cables will need to be bigger
Keep it neat
mains, 3 amp fused plug, 1 gang plateswitch on surface box, transformer, out to 12v jb1 out to 12v jb2.
Or no switch and use the socket switch

1 led strip into each J/b 12 volt

UPDATE: all rigged up with a nicely concealed switch. I didn’t have a 3amp fuse and used a 5amp instead. Is this adequate or should it be replaced with 3amp?

Also, the wires from the LED strip are very brittle. Can they be “thickened” somehow to provide a better connection under the junction terminals?

Thanks again guys.

Attachments

• 549EDF04-B796-4BE2-BBAA-218B6C6D3EB0.jpeg
    549EDF04-B796-4BE2-BBAA-218B6C6D3EB0.jpeg
    171.7 KB · Views: 179
Omg Iam so sorry, you must be well made up. I've built matching mdf displays units either side of the fire place alcoves.We'd seen the design in house & country type magazines think they were about a £1000 each. Cost us about 200 in materials and eggshell paint, felt so proud when finished, like you, couldn't stop admiring them. I was in her good books for at least a week :LOL:

5 amp fuse will likely be fine, theres not a lot of cables sold that would not be protected by that size fuse, only 0.5mm should be 3 amp really,

1.0mm or 1.5mm are both fine with a 5amp fuse

If your good at soldering You can tin The Led leads To fatten them up, however what i would do is just strip them longer and wrap the copper round the other flex copper so the Two become One, then screw on to that.

Last edited:
UPDATE: all rigged up with a nicely concealed switch. I didn’t have a 3amp fuse and used a 5amp instead. Is this adequate or should it be replaced with 3amp?

Also, the wires from the LED strip are very brittle. Can they be “thickened” somehow to provide a better connection under the junction terminals?

Thanks again guys.
So the biggest question of all is.....

When can I book you to come and do one for the Mrs?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back