Stripping gloss from door frames and skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning on painting some door frames and skirting using a water based paint (something like Dulux Trade Satinwood).

The problem is they currently have gloss paint on them. I have tried scraping this off using a heat gun, but that was a slow process and the smell was giving me a headache. See pic below of an example of a door frame and you can also see in the pic where I have attempted to remove the gloss using the heat gun.

20221120_191448.jpg

So, what other options do I have? I have 4 door frames to do in total (both sides and the inside).

I have access to an oscillating multi tool with sanding pads and also a mouse detail sander - if either those will help!

Sponsored Links
You can go straight onto gloss if you get the dulux trade diamond satinwood paint. Two coats and sorted!

The problem is the gloss paint is so thick in some areas that it looks ugly. I guess I would just have to sand those areas down.

Can I apply this satinwood paint directly to the unpainted door (as shown in the pic) - or do I need to use some kind of undercoat first?

The problem is the gloss paint is so thick in some areas that it looks ugly. I guess I would just have to sand those areas down.
On architrave, i think it is less trouble, and not expensive, to pull it off and fit new.

Fill and paint the plaster wall before putting the new on.

Sponsored Links
To paint the door you'd be better off putting a stain block primer on first. The red zinsser B.I.N. would be good but it is like milk so don't go mad with it. Maybe two coats of that

As above, stripping paint from architrave is a very tedious job. You need a variety of shavehooks to get into the nooks and crannies, with the older paint it's worth trying to get a full width warm enough (not too hot) so the paint pulls off in a lump including most of the paint in the deep grooves. Once you've shifted the bulk with the hot air gun it's time for paint stripper and wire wool to clean up.
You could try removing the architrave and getting it dipped or you could just buy new.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back