stripping paint - lead?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning on stripping all the paint off our internal doors. The house was built in the 1950s. Do I need to check them for lead? Was it still used in paint then? If so, what's the best test to use (and preferably ones that don't cost a fortune as there are 8 doors in total!)

I have young children, so have to be careful about this!

Sponsored Links
It's entirely possible; you could strip them outside, or get them dipped?

There are a couple of UK internet sites that will send you test kits, which you then send off - I think it's about £20 per test, and less as you have more.

Do I still need to test them if I strip them outside? Should I wear a mask?

£20 a pop soon adds up to far too much!

I'd use a mask; I picked up one of Wickes AB1P2 respirators, but is pretty effective, but possibly overkill outdoors - I'll let the professionals answer that.

Use a heat gun and scraper, but try not to burn the paint. You can use paint stripper, which is 'safest' of all, but it makes a bloody awful mess. I'd heat gun the majority, and paint strip what's left.

If it wasn't (possibly) lead paint, I'd say heat gun then sand.

Sponsored Links
Investigate getting them dipped. Doing it by hand will takes ages.

Re lead, there was another thread a few weeks ago where I posted a link to a useful doc about it all; try searching the forum.

THanks. I'll search for that thread.

but re dipping - i thought that didn't do the door any good?

I bought a 3M kit from amazon (US I think), which had 8 testers for about £37.

They're not amazing as the test liquid is orange which turns red if in contact with lead, so it takes a few goes before you can be confident of the result. Especially in bad lighting!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back