Stripping Wallpaper

S

snowball1

Hi,

First post after a long time viewing!

I'm just after any tips on what to do with the walls on my pics, currently stripping off old wallpaper of which there is about 6 layers. On some of the walls i have taken the vinyl off, leaving the backing paper and would like to either paint over and then wallpaper, using lining paper too.

On the walls you can see, i've gone back to the plaster in patches, which i don't really want to do, but is there any alternative? I don't have much time (and a toddler), otherwise i would replace it all with plasterboard and get it skimmed.

Basically i'm after any suggestions to enable wallpaper and lining paper to adhere to the walls, without to many dramas! The walls are lathe and plaster and as you can see there is two plaster types on the wall.

Sponsored Links
Don't paper over the old backing as the paste soaks into it it will start to come away, you may also see the edges through the old paper.
I did one room and missed one small bit of backing on the chimney breast darn thing stood out like a sore thumb always annoyed me when I saw it!

Stripping vinyl is usually really easy once you have pulled off the plastic coating, just soak the backing time and time again with a garden spray or sponge and wait till it all looks dark then it will peel of with barely the need for a scraper but you do need to give it time to soak throughly!

Get some Zinsser DIF paper stripping liquid - marvellous stuff kills the old glue :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back