structual calculations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1965 timber frame bungalow. I am putting an extension on back and making a new opening into. Is there such a thing as 'standard structural calcs' for my Lintel ? I will have a 3m opening with beam taking 8 ceiling joists above. I was hoping to use a GLUELAM beam, as this will be supported by the timber frame and you can nail them, the supplier does have loading details.

Sponsored Links
I have a 1965 timber frame bungalow. I am putting an extension on back and making a new opening into. Is there such a thing as 'standard structural calcs' for my Lintel ? I will have a 3m opening with beam taking 8 ceiling joists above. I was hoping to use a GLUELAM beam, as this will be supported by the timber frame and you can nail them, the supplier does have loading details.
"ig"box lintelss3300mm.2/300£ nd need for structural calcs

With a timber frame building it is not just a matter of the imposed loads on the beam. The racking forces (sideways wind loads etc.) are just as important.

You need a structural engineer.

With a timber frame building it is not just a matter of the imposed loads on the beam. The racking forces (sideways wind loads etc.) are just as important.

You need a structural engineer.

Out of interest, what safety factors are applied to house building? In my spare time I am involved in Finite Element Analysis of Aircraft, where ultimate load is 1.5X max design and we have to do some pretty involved dynamic loading calculations as well.

Where are the equivalent loads detailed for residential housing?

Sponsored Links
We currently design to limit state design (BS 5950), which is designing members to a point where they become unfit for use, as opposed to previous design theory (permissible stress ) where members were designed to a yield point

For this we use common factors of 1.4 for dead loads and 1.6 for live loads, but there are other factors for other circumstances

Eurocodes (currently running alongside BS 5950 and due to replace it) does things a bit differently and factors vary a lot more depending on the situation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back