Structural engineer calculation costs - hampshire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am about to start an extension project and as we are removing a fair few walls I need a structural engineer to do some calcs for me. Obviously I have been very naive as to how much work must go into these as I have just been quoted just over £1000 for them.

Whilst I appreciate every project is different does this sound reasonable for a fairly large extension project or does it sound far too high. I'm only after a ballpark idea so I can decide if I am being taken for a ride.

Also if anyone else can recommend any companies in the portsmouth / southampton area that would be great.

Thanks
Greg

Sponsored Links
For an extension I drew up recently, I got three quotes from SE's that ranged from about £150-£700. None were large practices who would have been well over a grand. It helps to find a non too fussy engineer, some will be quite happy taking your Regs drawings and doing it all from that, others will insist on a site visit and other unecessaries.

Historically, strangely I have generally found smaller firms with maybe 3 or 4 employees the cheapest, cheaper than one man bands!

Large firms will often be crazy money.

And as for a guide price for your works we have no idea what you're doing! So begs the question what exactly are you asking of them?

Whilst I appreciate every project is different does this sound reasonable for a fairly large extension project or does it sound far too high.
Doesn't sound on the low side.

Does it include doing the package for Building Regulations submission, and the detailing for the builder to work to?

Sponsored Links
Two storey rear extension to a timber framed house, conversion of exisiting garage roof to utilise space therein as part of the build (sort of loft conversion - house is a dormer bungalow) - £840+VAT

This included speccing the foundations, superstructure including flitch beams.

Also had to pay £200+VAT for a site visit because the chippies wanted advice on where to site a post for one of the beams.

if it helps here are the floorplans and elevations. It is quite a big project with most of the front and side coming off.

The company who quoted the price I was referring to was Fast calc ltd. I have also been quoted around half of that (£550) from the architects. I personally havent been too impressed with the architects so would prefer to use someone else for this part of the project. Fast calc came across really well and I would like to use them its just the cost seemed a lot.

I just really wanted to find out (since there is such a big difference in cost) if one of the quotes was too cheap or one too high.

I have found Fast Calc to be very competitive recently and very competent.

I have to say though that I am deeply unimpressed with your "architects" plans. I suspect the engineer has increased their fee quote to reflect the extra time trying to work with those very basic plans and the extra design input they will need to adopt.

I assume those are just the planning drawings. It might be worth going back to Fast Calc with the detailed Building Regs drawings when they will have a better idea of the detailed construction. Or maybe get a new "architect".

The architects are 2 very nice guys however unfortunately that is where the good part of the service stops. As mentioned previously I haven't been impressed with their service / competence hence why I would rather use someone like fast calcs.

The drawings are only for planning (and in all honesty the layout / design was done by me in the end and they have just laid it out for the planners). The building regs drawings are supposed to be forthcoming after the structural calculations are completed.

I have been told by a number of people the plans are extremely basic and given that this is my first project I have maybe been a bit naive with my choice on this part. Anyhow it has been done now so onwards and upwards.

I think you are correct that the quote received is an estimate as with such limited information they probably have to quote on a worst case basis. Fortunately the owner of fast calcs has agreed to meet me at the property tomorrow to discuss further, get a better idea in what is needed and hopefully will give me an accurate quote (hopefully lower).

Anyway I will report back and let you know how it goes. If I use them or whoever i use I will write up a review so anyone in the future looking for someone local can get an idea on how they are.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back