Structural Engineer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if anyone can help.

I'm a builder in the Birmingham area and have been using a Structural Engineer to provide structural designs/calcs when required. Unfortunately, he has retired and moved to Spain! Could anyone recommend another - preferably in the Birmingham area. I used to pay £60 per calculation/beam and fixed price for larger jobs. The Engineer carried his own PI insurance so was covered. Any suggests would be appriciated.

Thank you :)

Sponsored Links
I wonder if anyone can help.
I used to pay £60 per calculation/beam and fixed price for larger jobs.
Thank you :)

Don't think you'll find anybody at that rate. £150 to £225 is the about the average in my neck of the woods.

I used to pay £60 per calculation/beam and fixed price for larger jobs.

I think your honey pot just got emptied.

Time to join us in the 21 century me thinks.

It is never nice when the rug gets pulled but you will have to up your prices too.

Sponsored Links
Saw these on the web;

www.quick-calcs.net from £50 per beam

www.beam-designs.co.uk £60 per beam

www.rivergate.co.uk £40 + vat to £150 + vat

Not sure what there like or their insurance status though.
Prices seem reasonable.. be warned the above are for basic beams with no complications stuff most builders are happy to size.. that said these prices are similar to what i would charge..

The www.quick-calcs.net is the only one that states a PI of 1m.. but doesnt mean the others dont offer.. course as these designs are based on client driven information only with no first hand site visits the chances are the liability may well be placed on the client..

On www.beam-designs.co.uk sample beam calc it scares me that they show a beam pad so close to an existing doorway opening with nothing to show any lintel checks..

that's so cheap!

The company i work for charge £150 for one beam or £350 for a full set of e.g. 5 beams.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back