Structural Engineer Quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All,

I am looking at removing an internal wall and need to know whether the wall provides lateral support to the external wall. I have designed a steel beam for the load above but need a structural engineer to confirm whether I need a pillar to provide restraint to the external wall. Plans have been drawn up, just need a quote for a suitably qualified engineer with the right experience to decide what I can and cannot do!

PS - I live north of Birmingham.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A domestic beam will normally sit on 100mm bearing of a cavity or 9"wall, and the internal walls do not laterally restrain the external ones

A domestic beam will normally sit on 100mm bearing of a cavity or 9"wall, and the internal walls do not laterally restrain the external ones
Not always the case.. long external walls often take lateral support from internal load bearing walls, either that or you put in wind posts.. especially with modern lightweight construction.. course rarely a problem with lower level floors unless youre in a windy area..

If youve designed the beam why cant you do a masonry check?

Sponsored Links
The external wall is 6m in length and the wall to be removed is a single skin blockwork wall which is at the mid point. The internal wall is only on the ground floor, there is only stud walls on the first floor. A post on another website draws attention to the 70m2 area as a min before interal walls are needed?

How long is "long" in context of a domestic property?
A row of terrace houses...?
Lol.. would estimate about the 7-9m region gets a little flexible, normal domestic, joists parallel, lightweight 3.5 block upper floor etc..

6m well.. probably be fine unless you got really light weight walls/floor/roof over/only single storey etc..

70m2 well thats bs.. more like about 1/4tr of that

If you have a typical [mass produced] house, old or new then you wont need a pier, and the BCO wont be looking for one

Whoever has done the plans should be able to tell you this.

That is the point, I have done the plans for building control and have designed the beam. Hence the question about "what I can and cannot do". The house is late 80's so fairly modern using cavity wall construction. The roof trusses sit on the back wall which is perpendicular to the one I want to replace with a steel beam. Just looking at getting some confidence before I remove this wall! Will the BCO give suitable advice or expect someone else to have checked this detail?

The BCO will only check that you are building in accordance with the approved plan, or when checking plans either pass them as drawn or ask for further details.

They wont give design advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back