Structural full width lintel - Help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks for reading. I am proposing a rear extension which will be the full width of the rear of the ex council house. The existing structure appears to have a full width (6.6 metres) concrete reinforced lintel which spans the building, with a wall in the middle. Picture attached.

I've done a far bit of work in the house and have always hit concrete when drilling at the this level, although I've not got to the point of hacking plaster off the wall to confirm.

I've googled this and I can't seem to find any information on this type of build and was wondering if anyone could confirm if this is the case?

My main question is, if it is the case, am I right in thinking that it is very unlikely that this would provide the sufficient amount of support with the midway block work removed, I'd be looking at a steel to replace?

Secondly, if that's the case, is removing and replacing this going to be a significantly difficult job (ie expensive)

I am looking to have the blockwork done professionally, but the rest of the work is within my capabilities to complete.

As it falls under permitted development, will it be a case of having LABC carry out regular inspections to confirm it is correct?

Thanks in advance

Sam

Attachments

• Photo 16-08-2015 12 45 24.jpg
    Photo 16-08-2015 12 45 24.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 185
Sponsored Links
You'll need a structural engineer anyway, to design any additional support needed or to confirm that the existing support will be adequate.

Is this house 'traditionally built' or some type of prefab system?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Yep, appreciate I will need a structural engineer to size, but if the cost is prohibitive then it isn't really worth doing anyway.

The house is standard construction, concrete block and brick.

Thanks again

Sam

Sponsored Links
Phone you council's housing department and ask them what system build it is. They will have the details.

Are your upstairs floors concrete. I can imagine that the whole upstairs floor was cast in situ with the edges terminated in that " lintel". In which case removing part of it to be replaced with a RSJ would leave the floor edge a potentially floppy! However it would be possible to cut through its thickness and install a RSJ under it.
frank

Hi,

No, it's a standard build with joist and chipboard floors.

I was told it was a wimpey build when we bought it, but I can't find anything to back this up (other than poor workmanship !)

Is it actually a structural lintel, or just a decorative band? Have you tried drilling it; do you hit steel reinforcement?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not entirely sure what it is. Obviously it spans the windows and from the underside of it at the top of the window it appears to be pre cast.

I've hit reinforced concrete above the windows as you d expect when hanging curtain poles etc.

I've also scraped a patch away on the outside above the walled section and it is concrete as opposed to block work.

There is also a crack in the paint which always appears to the far left which looks like the point at which it sits on the wall.

I'm assuming it continues in one full piece?
image.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back