structural problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I have a loft conversion planned and have had the structural calcs and everything is ready to go ahead!,
the issue i have is-:
when i have replaced a window with french doors (i had a question this delt with earlier:)...) i noticed that the whole of the inside leaf of the house wall all the way around is a single course of cinder block.(the rest of the house ib built from red brick)
The blocks start 2 bricks above the damp course and are at the same level as the floor boards, they have been used to take the nails to hold the skirting boards on.
My problem is that when asked about the construction of the house i said red brick as i didnt know about the course of cinder block and i would like to know if the strength of the block would be a problem with the extra weight of the loft? does this need to be pointed out to the structural engineer?
Also as a last point id li8ke to say that the blocks are total 5hite they crumble and where i have removed some skirting the blocks have broken out and left a crater where the nails were.
I would thank anyone for help advive or an opinion on this matter.....
Thanks,
Jsmithy.

Sponsored Links
Hi everyone,

I have a loft conversion planned and have had the structural calcs and everything is ready to go ahead!,
the issue i have is-:
when i have replaced a window with french doors (i had a question this delt with earlier:)...) i noticed that the whole of the inside leaf of the house wall all the way around is a single course of cinder block.(the rest of the house ib built from red brick)
The blocks start 2 bricks above the damp course and are at the same level as the floor boards, they have been used to take the nails to hold the skirting boards on.
My problem is that when asked about the construction of the house i said red brick as i didnt know about the course of cinder block and i would like to know if the strength of the block would be a problem with the extra weight of the loft? does this need to be pointed out to the structural engineer?
Also as a last point id li8ke to say that the blocks are total 5hite they crumble and where i have removed some skirting the blocks have broken out and left a crater where the nails were.
I would thank anyone for help advive or an opinion on this matter.....
Thanks,
Jsmithy.

well the designer/ surveyor will have taken that into account.. so dont worry about it...

Thanks for looking geraint,
The main prob i have is the fact that the cinder block is only one course high and the rest of the internal leaf is built from red brick(the house was built in the 50's)
As i didnt know about the cinder block when asked about the construction would this be a big issue and do the calcs need to be done again? im no engineer but i know the strength of the blocks is poor compared to the red brick and am i born worrier :( .
Does this method of construction sound to have been common in the 50's
as ive not come across it before? cant understand why they used the cinder block at all?
thanks in advance for help.

Jsmithy.

Cavity wall? With ties?
In any case, I know what Tom Jones would say about it....

Sponsored Links
Don't worry about the cinder blocks, they will be fine.

Just for reference, blocks may appear soft and crumbly, but have greater compressive strength

What you call clinker blocks, we think you will find are clinker or breeze bricks.
Back in the 50s when we were running commons or reject facings on inside skin, we used to wall in a clinker brick every third brick for fixings for skirting’s. Also every 6 course up internal door openings for fixing of door linings.
Stop worrying, your house has stood for 60 years and will go many more.
oldun

Thanks for all the replys everyone,- they have helped ease my worry over the cinder block issue! again the informed have come to my rescue :D
Cheers,
Jsmithy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back