Structural roof lights - weathering & building control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently purchased fairly large rooflights to fit on pitched extension roof (20% pitch) They are basically 2mx1.4m triple glazed glass units with structural timber box section as upstand. There is nothing more clever to them - no clever flashing kit, its just timber frame and glass - they are not openable and have no vents or similar. I was told by the manufacturer they are suitable for installation on flat or pitched roof.

Once I received them, my roofer has asked for some idea on how to install these - manufacturer told me to use lead or similar flashing but other than that its up to my roofer. Roofer is reasonably happy to have a go but then the BCO got involved asking for flashing detail that demonstrates compliance to part C building regulation. BCO won't pass the extension/rooflights until he sees this detail presumably as CAD drawing provided by manufacturer proving suitability.

Who is being unreasonable here - the BCO or the manufacturer or both? I can understand why the manufacturer doesn't want to get involved in installation but at the same time can't believe there are no fitting guidelines - even Kinder eggs come with something. Roofer is reasonably happy to have a go but once Building Control are satisfied. Finally, is there some sort of generic guide to installing rooflights such as these - they are literally structural timber frame and glass - supposed to be frameless and weren't cheap so not too happy at the situation.

Sponsored Links
I have recently purchased fairly large rooflights to fit on pitched extension roof (20% pitcH) They are basically 2mx1.4m triple glazed glass units with structural timber box section as upstand. There is nothing more clever to them - no clever flashing kit, its just timber frame and glass - they are not openable or anything like that. I was told by the company they are suitable for installation for pitched or flat roof.

Once I received them, my roofer has asked for some idea on how to install them - company supplying them told me they need lead or similar flashing but other than that its up to my roofer. Roofer is reasonably happy to have a go but then the BCO got involved asking for flashing detail that demonstrates they are compliant to part C building regulation. He now won't pass these rooflights until he sees some sort of installation detail or drawing provided by manufacturer proving suitability.

Who is being unreasonable here - my BCO being or the company supplying these? I can understand the company supplying the rooflights doesn't want to get involved in installation but at the same time I am surprised that there are no fitting guidelines - even kinder eggs & Xmas crackers come with instructions these days. Roofer is reasonably happy to flash them but obviously without satisfying Building Control there is no point in doing that. Finally, is there some sort of generic guide to installing rooflights such as these - they are literally structural timber frame and glass - supposed to be frameless and weren't cheap so not too happy at the situation.

never heard of part C for flashing.. can guess that your bco is either out of his depth... or they are not installed properly...

or you are confused with the chat between yourself and the third parties

They are not installed yet so he can't be unhappy with installation - they are sitting in the kitchen waiting to drop on someone.

As far as me getting confused - I have it in writing! He's asking for flashing detail on the rooflight from manufacturer.

The bit about Part C he mentioned in conversation - saying that Velux have all sorts of grooves etc to prevent water ingress and capillary action etc (he's a real bore). He is concerned without some sort of installation detail these are going to leak.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back