Structural screws for a stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am planning to build a small stud wall, just under 2 metres wide, with a door.

Although it will be internal, but I want to build it to the same strength as an external wall.

Because it is so small, and because I don't want to have to buy or hire a nailer, I am hoping to use screws, even though I appreciate that nails are the preferred fixing due to the shear strength.

I have read elsewhere that structural screws would be OK for this, but I'm not sure what would qualify.

Something like this has structural in the title but would appear to be overkill:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/timberfix-flange-structural-timber-screw-brown-6-3-x-100mm-50-pack/23059

and I think that these would actually be fine:

https://www.toolstation.com/spectre-advanced-multi-purpose-screw/p70894

Can anybody please advise on whether those Spectres are OK, or whether I should use something else?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Ordinary 5.0 x 80mm to 5.0 x 100mm screws should suffice both to make up the frame and to fix it in place (assuming 3 x 2 or 4 x 2 softwood carcassing). If fixing to masonry use brown plugs (masonry drill size 7mm). No need for special screws at all - what you proposed is completely OTT

Normal no 4 wood screws will be fine. Timber partitions get their strength from the boards secured to the frame, not the screws.

Normal no 4 wood screws will be fine. Timber partitions get their strength from the boards secured to the frame, not the screws.
It's easy to tell you are no carpenter, Woody. No. 4 (#4) screws are tiny (and are only ever used for stuff like kick plates) whilst 4.0mm are about the same size of the old Imperial #8 screws. In any case, whilst as a carpenter I might make a 2 x 2in (44 × 44mm) frame for the likes of a bathroom IPS frame using 4.0mm screws (because it is a lightweight frame and 4.0mm screws can generally be driven into 2 x 2 softwood without pre-piloting but with minimal splitting), I'd expect to use either 5.0mm (#10) or 6.0mm (#12) screws to both make up a wall stud frame from, say, 3 x 2in (70 x 44mm) softwood, the difference being that 6.0mm screws invariably need to be pre-piloted. The larger screw heads of 5.0 an 6.0mm screws on make for a more rigid frame which can be made on the floor and raised into position more easily than one made using 4.0mm screws. In any case 4.0mm screws generally don't exceed 70mm maximum length, whilst an 80 to 100mm long screw makes for a sturdier fixing between frame and say masonry òr solid floor.

Sponsored Links
Not a carpenter? :rolleyes: it was just a slip of the thumbs, no.4 and 4mm hammer in just the same.

Skew screw just as done with nails.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back