Structure within a structure for paintball

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm entertaining the idea of building an indoor paint balling arena. Basically, rent a warehouse and then build a self contained structure within it.

I would like to make the structure out of pallet racking. Imagine Wickes with it's huge 3000kg rated shelving, but there are floors spanning across the isles, and walls installed.

From a planning perspective, I can't see this being an issue as it's inside. The only issue would be with building regs.

The shelving I'm looking at is rated to 2000kg per shelf, and with appropriately sized floor joists and boarding, I can't see structural strength being an issue. And innovative building methods generally seem to be fine providing they are strong enough.

There will be no plumbing or heating and all wiring will be ELV.

Are there any pitfalls I may come across with this plan?

Cheers,
Fubar

Sponsored Links
I know nothing about planning law.

But if you are building a large wooden structure within a structure, that is designed to be a maze, that could be pitch black in the event of a electric cut.

Fire & elf n safety issues spring to mind.

2 light systems will be run. One for game purposes (interactive, can be shut off, dimmed, strobed... etc. The other will be for emergency lighting and self powered from batteries. If power fails, lights will immediately come on.

Fire is my biggest concern. But there will be a number of exits on every level.

Fubar.

My biggest concern would be dynamic forces. The shelving may take 3000kg static load, but people running around on them, sideways movement, sudden stops etc and I would be looking at something better designed personally.

Sponsored Links
Aye, shelves are not designed for using as walls, BC will expect calcs for the structure and no engineer will be able to determine the strength of the shelves. This crackpot solution is plain daft.

Valid point Ninja. As a single stand of racking, I would agree. However, with sufficinct cross bracing, they could be strengthenged to counteract that. Also bear in mind, that 3000kg is the rating per shelf, and each vertical member has a SWL of 15,000kg. So from an engineering stand point, they are strong structures. But as you say, dynamic horizontal loads would need to be factored in.

Freddy, As above, not intending to use a single row of shelving as a wall. Though walls will be built into them using single shelf spans for reinforcement. I would also refute that no engineer would be able to calculate the strength of them as they are a prismatic beam assembly of a known material grade, so while not as easy as joist deflection, it could be calculated. But as you say, then submitted to BC, who, despite any figures, may take opposition to 'innovative' construction methods.

Also, kind of harsh to call it a crackpot solution. When you think about the application this type of racking goes into (15m tall warehouses where the racking is used to support the outer skin and make up the building frame, while holding pallets of concrete, exposed to full lateral wind loads. With forklifts whizzing about and knocking it about a bit...) I fail to see how the core components would be un-usable in this sort of situation.

(oh, and I've seen videos like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raSJaiGjEIs... Poor design and exceptional circumstances come into play)

Fubar.

Sounds like you've got it all thought out, I suppose when you find some shelves they will state the strength and size of every component and that will enable your SE to do some number crunching …..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back