Strucutral floorboards timber - Advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have some builders currently in doing some work and during the course of the work they found some dry rot on and under some of the floorboards.

They treated and replaced these for me but they have since put down large chipboard tongue and groove type sheets as the final floor boards (to be later covered by carpet). Previously there were timber boards and I was expecting them to replace them like for like.

I'm not really happy about as it differs from my expectations and have since dropped them an email, but I wanted to do some research in the meantime but have been unable to so far figure out what types of timber are suitable as structural floors boards or what the official term I should search for should be?

Everytime I say "floorboards" I'm getting results for laminated or nicely finished wood, I'm just after structural type floorboards.

Is it something like "pine stripboards" I should be searching for? Is pine even a suitable wood for this type of a job? Are there any other suitable woods out there?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, this is all pretty new for me!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Try 'planed tongue and groove flooring' or similar

Thanks, went to a local DIY shop and they appeared to have some that matched the description. Not hugely expensive either and I found what the builders used in the same store so I can see the price differences. Basically they went for a much cheaper option, but hopefully they will come back to say they can change them as my expectations were different.

Sponsored Links
If they fitted chipboard then their price should reflect that. If you want proper boards they will charge extra. They will probably want to charge you for the chipboard anyway seeing as it will be scrap. And also the labour to rip it up. And the labour to fit new boards. Not sure this will be as straight forward as you imagine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back