Stuart Turner Monsoon Universal 3.0 BAR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I've a brand new Stuart Turner Monsoon Universal 3.0 BAR installed recently. The problem is that every minute or so it comes on for 3 seconds or so.

I cant immediately see a leak anywhere unless its under the floor :(

Would a small leak cause this behavior? and Is there any way I can troubleshoot the pump, in case its not working correctly.

Also, the sticker on the pump says manufacture date of Aug-2014 ,and the website says the guarantee is 5 years. http://www.stuart-turner.co.uk/products/monsoon/u30-bar-twin/
Should I be asking my plumber about this? Would it be considered old?

The specs also state "DO NOT bend the flexible hoses beyond 30 degrees. They must be installed as straight as possible."
I can see one of my flexible hoses goes off at 90 degrees from the pump.

Any tips appreciated.
Thanks,

Sponsored Links
A flat expansion vessel could cause the pump to come on intermittently, turn off the water supply to pump, turn on taps and use a tyre pressure gauge to see how much pressure is in the vessel, there should be around 14psi.

Last edited:
Thanks Picasso.
I should have said that the system is fed from a tank in the attic.

Sponsored Links
from my perspective looking at the pump;

On the right side theres two pipes. The near pipe seems to be the cold feed, coming straight from the attic, but before it gets to the pump theres a small T from it, to topup/feed the radiator system. On that radiator feed is a stop cock and then a non-return valve. The far pipe Im guessing is the cold-out from the pump. Although its fairly warm, it must be picking up heat from inside the pump. I let the cold tap run and indeed that pipe cooled down.

One the left side;
Coming from the top of the hot water cylinder, a pipe comes out and T's. One branch of the T goes to the nearside of the pump, the other side of the T goes back into the attic to a pipe that hangs over the attic tank, which is guess is to relieve pressure if the water is boiling ? Could it be because that's an open pipe, the pump isnt liking that?

The left far side of the left seems to be the output of the hot water from the pump

20180227_231134.jpg 20180227_231123.jpg

Not sure the plumber (you?) could have got it more wrong, the cylinder is too small for such a powerful pump, the pump shifts about 20 litres per minute, your cylinder holds 100litres giving you about a 7 minute shower if your lucky, the hot needs its own take off from the cylinder as the pump will just suck air down the vent and there is about a 2 hour reheat time on the cylinder so hope you live alone.:confused:

Well that's pretty awful. Don't be too concerned about the manufacturing date are this stage - with an installation like that your warranty is void anyway. Rip it out and start again

Yup, not surprised the pump is pulsing with that pipework layout.

As already suggested, you need to get it back to basics .... unfortunately it needs re-designed, re-planned, set out properly and then remade.

I wouldn't say the chap who installed it should be the one who should be re-doing it BTW, if that work is anything to go by.

Oh man, that is crap news, but I appreciate it. I'm going to measure how much comes out of the showerhead in a minute. I know a plumber who I trust. I might just get him to have a look. On the plus side, I haven't settled the bill for the work yet.

Ah ok, if it's a brand new install and the chap is still to be paid then strictly speaking you need to give him the chance to sort it out. That being said though the design is all wrong and the basics need to be organised first as muggles mentioned.

As picasso also mentioned that cylinder probably isn't large enough to feed a pump of that size for any decent length of time and it will be run cold in minutes.

That should have all been considered by and discussed with you by your plumber, before the work even started.

I would also be looking to see what size the cold cistern (tank) in the loft is as you really want it to be 50 Gal (227l) to supply both the hot and cold suitably.

Can I also presume that the cylinder is only heated by the immerser?

It's heated by the immersion and the gas, when its on.
I'll give the plumber some leeway. In fairness the job itself was a bathroom upgrade, sized and priced by the foreman. I'd think he's to share some of the responsibility for landing the plumber with 'install the pump for their new shower' so called simple job.

I'll have to speak to him

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back