Stuart Turner Pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have installed a Stuart Turner Pump. It stated on there to 'hard wire' it to the mains. I presume it means fixed outlet or spur depending on circumstances.... however I have simply fitted a plug on the end with a five amp fuse (as stated in install book) and plugged it in thinking that it wouldn't make too much difference.

When I switched it on I was plunged into darkness immediately... everything tripped. Not the main switch or any particular breaker though. It seems to be a separate trip switch. Could this be for the earth maybe?

Tried it again in the socket next to it and after 5 seconds it tripped again.

Any advice? as Stuart Turner technical is on hols til Jan 4th?!?!

Cheers J

Sponsored Links
Forgive my ignorance, what is a stuart turner pump? What is its rating in volts and watts, and how many cores were in the lead and what colour?

Forgive my ignorance, what is a stuart turner pump? What is its rating in volts and watts, and how many cores were in the lead and what colour?

Should have stated - It's a pump that is to serve the whole house for domestic water. Old one packed up that was just serving the shower.

power supply = 230v (phase frequency 150v) single phase
max consumption = 435Watts
full load current = 1.9Amps
Rating = continuous S1
Fuse Rating = 5Amps

It was a typical three core lead with green/yellow, blue and brown.

Hope that helps.

Sponsored Links
Hard wired or plug shouldn't make any difference. Either there is a fault with the pump, the cable or the plug. Worth trying a different plug before going further. If no difference have a look for bad connections in the cable/pump connector block. I don't know this pump, so, if the pump is jammed, then I can't help. Does it run if disconnected from the pipework?

I'll take a plug off something I knnow works (like the kettle) and give it a go.

The cable looks fine and I checked inside for loose connections...

I can turn the impellas with the pump switched off yes.

. Not the main switch or any particular breaker though. It seems to be a separate trip switch. Could this be for the earth maybe?
J

This separate trip switch.

What is this, what is written on it? Is there a button marked "test"??
Or can you post a picture.?

That indicates that there is an earth fault, either with the pump, or the wiring. Check all the connections that you made, also make sure that no water has got into the electrics.

If all looks well then you'll need to return the pump for repair/replacement.

The trip switch may be a Residual Current Circuit Breaker (Generic term RCD) which may be protecting the whole installation – it could even be an older voltage operated device. You will need to record all of the detail on it that you can see and post it - then someone might be able to be more specific guidance about what it is.

Now I am a somewhat concerned that you are attempting to cure this problem this close to a period when it would be very difficult to get any assistance if, in your efforts to make the pump work, your RCD fails all together and leaves you without power.

Xmas without a shower is one thing, Xmas without power is quite another.

That indicates that there is an earth fault, either with the pump, or the wiring. Check all the connections that you made, also make sure that no water has got into the electrics.

If all looks well then you'll need to return the pump for repair/replacement.

Hmm Right you are.... I'll have to leave it to the New year when they return and I can speak to them.

Many thanks

The trip switch may be a Residual Current Circuit Breaker (Generic term RCD) which may be protecting the whole installation – it could even be an older voltage operated device. You will need to record all of the detail on it that you can see and post it - then someone might be able to be more specific guidance about what it is.

Now I am a somewhat concerned that you are attempting to cure this problem this close to a period when it would be very difficult to get any assistance if, in your efforts to make the pump work, your RCD fails all together and leaves you without power.

Xmas without a shower is one thing, Xmas without power is quite another.

Many thanks

I will leave it for now and speak to them in the new year.

Have a great Christmas everyone and thank you for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back