Stuck Thermostat Valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Comparing it to others this one is neither fully in of fully out, I have tried very lightly tapping it with a hammer and gently pulling on it with pliers - but it won't budge. How do I get it working again. ?
x-Rval-3821.jpg

Sponsored Links
yep, already tried that, i'm sure I coudd move it with a more forcefull hammer blow, but what could go wrong ?

Sponsored Links
put a piece of kichen roll or something under it and remove the gland nut 10mm I think, a tiny bit of water will come out but very little, no need to drain anything, then remove the pin and give it a good clean and add silicon grease and re-fit job done

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Are you sure the pin is actually stuck?

To confirm, try pressing the pin in with the side of your pliers - if it moves a couple of mm, then it is not stuck closed. Therefore look elsewhere for no flow to the rad.

put a piece of kichen roll or something under it and remove the gland nut 10mm I think, a tiny bit of water will come out but very little, no need to drain anything, then remove the pin and give it a good clean and add silicon grease and re-fit job done
How sure are you that it won't drain t he system ? wife would go nuts.I take it. that this is what the remove part will look like. I take it there must be a spring loaded valve this pushes agaist

danfoss-stopfbuchse-fuer-ra-2000-vhs-schluesselweite-10-mm-013g0290-512001228.jpg

Are you sure the pin is actually stuck?

To confirm, try pressing the pin in with the side of your pliers - if it moves a couple of mm, then it is not stuck closed. Therefore look elsewhere for no flow to the rad.
On the other radiators this pin is pushable, measured with a micrometer fully out 5.5mm fully in 3.8mm (so a movement of 1.7mm)
on the stuck one, it is at 4.3mm. So basically the radiator is on all the time.

I think for the moment i will continue with release oit and gently trying to encourage movement with pliers and a hammer

Last edited:
How sure are you that it won't drain t he system ? wife would go nuts.I take it. that this is what the remove part will look like. I take it there must be a spring loaded valve this pushes agaist

danfoss-stopfbuchse-fuer-ra-2000-vhs-schluesselweite-10-mm-013g0290-512001228.jpg

On the other radiators this pin is pushable, measured with a micrometer fully out 5.5mm fully in 3.8mm (so a movement of 1.7mm)
on the stuck one, it is at 4.3mm. So basically the radiator is on all the time.

I think for the moment i will continue with release oit and gently trying to encourage movement with pliers and a hammer
Yep thats it I am 100% sure I have removed literally hundreds of them, you can buy them as a spare part if they are passing, the pin simply presses down on a spring loaded seal

Yep thats it I am 100% sure I have removed literally hundreds of them, you can buy them as a spare part if they are passing, the pin simply presses down on a spring loaded seal
thankyou - job now done and working correctly

x-Rval-3900.jpg

do you lube them with anything ?
I put it back together with a little dab of red rubber grease.

Reactions: CBW
I use silicon grease, but what you used should be fine, if not, hardly a big deal to take it out again as you have found out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back