Stud partitioning beginner - loads of questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am erecting new stud partitioning for a new bathroom.
I can turn my hand to most things but confidence stops me jumping in feet first. If people don't mind, I prefer to ask lots of questions and be sure of getting things right first time.

Here goes.... (thank you very much in advance) :)

1) New bedroom wall wall runs in line with the joists. Must the head and sole plates sit directly below and above the floor and ceiling joists, or can it sit on the wooden floor? It is essential that I fit noggins between both the ceiling and floor joists?
2) Fitting fire door lining to bedroom - one website mentioned filling the gap behind with intumescent foam. I was going to fit lining directly to adjacent vertical. Am I correct or should I be using packers and have gaps?
3) Gap at bottom of fire door - I know it is 8mm max from carpet / threshold but, is there a figure from the boards, allowing for underlay and carpet etc?
4) Position of show tray and enclosure in relation to studding in adjacent newly created bathroom - I am affixing Aqua panel to existing solid wall and then shower tray short edge against this. The new stud work will follow the long edge of the tray. Presumably, the last vertical stud will sit just inside (25mm) of the far short edge of the tray, to provide a fixing for the enclosure? The board and tiles will then extend beyond the enclosure to be flush with the vertical stud and end of tray. Is this all correct? and can I then affix my bathroom door lining straight on to this last vertical or should I add another vertical first?

Thanks very much to everyone in advance. I'll take it a day at a time. I'm sure that there will be questions tomorrow evening!

RrogerD

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back