1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Stud wall and Insulating...

Discussion in 'Wood / Woodwork / Carpentry' started by garmcqui, 7 Apr 2021.

1. garmcqui

garmcqui

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi all, I wasn’t sure whether to put this in the joinery or building forum...

Am partitioning off an 8’ x 8’ part of a detached garage to use as an occasional use gym area. 3 walls are internal walls, with only one against one of the single skin garage walls.

Just to complicate things, the garage wall has two pillars in it. I’ve built the stud forward of the brickwork slightly.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Any advice on how best to insulate this a little? Was planning to use 25mm PIR boards in front of the 2 pillers but what to put in the deeper part?

Not intending to spend a fortune, in fact I have 3 rolls of rockwool leftover from when we did the loft - ok to use this? Can I just stuff it in, or does it need to be kept away from the inside of the brickwork?

Any advice appreciated.

2. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes you can use rock wool. Thought slab type is easier to use in walls.

3. Sponsored Links
  4. garmcqui

garmcqui

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    cheers mate. Does it need to be kept away from the brick in case of condensation?

5. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Without a gap there is no moist air to condense.

6. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

7. Sponsored Links