Stud wall from Garage to Utility room...construcion details

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
as part of my ongoing extension I've built a stud wall with a door to separate my garage from the utility room.

The wall is made from 100mm x 50mm timber and insulated between the studs & noggins with 100mm kingspan (Not foil faced).
The utility side of the wall will have 25mm foil faced kingspan over the studs to stop cold bridging and then 12.5mm plasterboard & skim.

The BCO said that the garage side could be sheeted with OSB 3 so that's what I plan to use, but do I need to put a layer of plaster board on before the OSB 3 to give fire protection?

Do I need to have a plastic membrane on the garage side before the OSB 3 goes on?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Normally you would use moisture resistant plasterboard to face the garage. If your BCO has said he will be happy with a sheet of OSB instead of PB then one would assume he would be happy with it.

The vapour barrier is the foil on the 25mm Kingspan. Tape the joints with foil tape to seal the gaps and complete the membrane.

No need for any other membranes.

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.

I should have mentioned that the stud wall is also supporting a small tiled roof (48 tiles) that's why the OSB has been specified to add strength to the wall, not that it needs it as it would probably hold a battle ship up the way I've built it.

I couldn't remember 100% what the BCO had said about the construction of the wall, hence my question, but just to be on the safe side I rang him this afternoon just to check, he said that it would need a layer of plasterboard on the garage side as well as the OSB, this can go on top or behind the OSB...my choice.
I may put the OSB on top as it's less prone to damage.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back