Stud wall thickness for kitchen cabinets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully a simple question...
What minimum thickness would I need a Stud wall to be to attach kitchen cabinets to? If it makes a difference, they are tall cabinets which will be standing on the floor i.e. not hanging wall cabinets.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
If the weight is on the floor, then suitable plasterboard fixings would presumably suffice to prevent the cabinet from tipping forward, or you could screw direct into a stud fixed to the plasterboard.

Blup

Thank you, I was wondering if we needed to face the stud with ply. Thinking 100mm stud, 12mm ply, 12mm plasterboard, 3mm plaster?
Need to calculate an alcove to check the kitchen cabinets will fit. Thanks

If you used ply you could possibly go to 50mm studs as the ply would firm it up

Sponsored Links
Thank you all for taking the time, I'll investigate those options :)

thickness of the stud wall or the stud wall covering (ie. plasterboard) is irrelevant - neither do you need any extra backing support.
your unit will be wider than 370mm (the distance between studs) therefore your unit must land on at least one stud.
use that stud for fixing to as blup suggests above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back