stud walls installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My carpenter was going to fit the stud walls to our loftconversion first and then the plumber and electrician were going to come for first fix.
Now the carpenter wants the plumber and electrician to do first fixes and then the carpenter will put up the stud walls between rooms.
The carpenters reason for not putting up the stud walls is that it is easier to lay the wood chip flooring if the walls are put up after flooring is laid.
I feel it is harder for the plumber and electrician to lay services if the walls are not up ,particularly in the bathrooms as it is so hard to know where exatly fittings go.
My question is what should be done first stud walls or first fix plum and electr. ? will it be really hard for the first fix if the stud walls are not there?

Sponsored Links
First fix structure comes before first fix services ... otherwise there is nothing to fix to

Floor, studs then 1st fix....The wiring goes round the eaves and through studs.
The bathroom floor can be left up if required.

Floor, studs then 1st fix....The wiring goes round the eaves and through studs.
The bathroom floor can be left up if required.

There is lot of cables between floor joists that need sorting in the first fix ,if the floor goes down before first fix electrics it will be impossible to sort them out. I think the carpenter just want it easy for himself so the chipboard floor is easier to lay ,he says the stud walls are fixed on top of the flooring.I have never seen this to be done this way and feel I am being bullied .

Sponsored Links
... and feel I am being bullied .

You are the client, you tell him what you want, he does it

The stud wall can be laid on the floor deck or on the joists. It does not matter, but you would choose the method to suit the other works

There is no reason why the wall can't be built and the floor deck butted up to it.

Had to reply to this topic as some have got it wrong.

It is quite normal for electric and plumbing (first fix) to be installed before any floors or internal partitions are formed.

In my day we did all wiring and plumbing before the floors were laid and before partitions were erected, some partitions may need the floor for support as they could fall outside the support of a joist, the joiner would then pull the wiring and pipes through at the correct positions

Got to agree with glesgaguy. Although these situations can benefit with a team that can work together.

Sometimes a bit of teamwork and give & take is required.

But how do you turn the ch pipes up and run the cables and fix the boxes to a stud wall that is not there?

I'm sure the chippie would not thank you for having to work around stuff sticking up from the floor

It can be done either way. Under normal circumstances, where say the floor void is accessible from below, you would lay the floor then build the stud walls upon the floor. The other trades can then fit from below.

In this instance however, because there is no access from below, it may be logical for the plumber and leccy to leave tails so that the chippy can drop the floor and stud sole plate over.

Woodframe has also made a pertinent suggestion in that the flooring could be cut up to the stud wall each side.

I would have a meeting with all three trades together and see what is best for all.

But how do you turn the ch pipes up and run the cables and fix the boxes to a stud wall that is not there?

I'm sure the chippie would not thank you for having to work around stuff sticking up from the floor

The answer to that is obviously..the electrician/plubmer can't but the joiner can.

I'm retired now but in my day on new housing this was normal practice

What happens is that all trades have a drawing of the layout of the stud partitions with electrical and plumbing marked.

The electrician and plumber make their cable and pipe runs to the approxomate positions before the floor and partitions are formed, the joiner then comes in lays the floor and draws up the cables through the partition at the correct points adds a dwang at that point then fixes the wall panel pulling the cables through at the dwang.

When the electrician does his second fix he cuts out and fixes the backing box to the dwang then connects the sockets/switches, plumbers pipes are generally positioned outside the partition.

It can be done the other way depending on the job but if the partitions fall in a position between joists then he can't erect it anyway, it means the joiner has to leave the job before his first fix is completed and they prefer not to do that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back